Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS5 might be $500 at launch.

1. I only tried Windows 7, because I've had better luck with stuff like MAME and controllers working better with that operating system. Yeah, it's an i5 setup that has a 250GB M.2 drive and the iris pro graphics.

That system is so on my backburner of things to tinker with now. I've got my 2500K rig in the livingroom, that I'm going to replace with my old 4790K setup. I'd like to give the good old 2500K one final run, with a few games, before I break it down.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Pretty sure he was but Yoshi was driven off these forums ages ago but I'm sure there's a few PC Master Race people around still!
    I joined the PC master race a while back and I still mostly play multiplatform games on the Xbox.

3. I see the appeal of PC, steam makes it very easy and some games run so smoothly even on a midrange. I love playing EDF 4.1 on Steam, it is way better than PS4 (or even the 360 version on XB1X BC)

4. I play Forza Horizon 4 @1440p and 144Hz on PC. I can't even imagine how stable it would be playing on XBox One X at 4K. Everything runs so freaking smooth on PC, that I have a hard time justifying playing it on a console. I've played Far Cry 5 on PC , and it was an outstanding experience, while playing New Dawn on PS4 was surprisingly decent, but it became frustrating having shots not registering and more difficult than it should have been, because of lag. Outside of exclusives I play on PS4, I'm not so keen on playing a multi-platform game on the consoles.
    Last edited by gamevet; 29 Feb 2020 at 12:36 PM.

5. Every generation the gap shrinks though. It's like this image:

Click for full size

The return on how good something can look even with 10x more power shrinks and shrinks. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X was the first time that I thought "with GPU costs so high right now, is it even fucking worth it anymore?" and so far the answer has been no. It's not that high end PCs aren't producing better looking and running games, it's just that the cost and functionality of it is starting to not make it worth it anymore. I was willing to play on a smaller monitor, or hook up a PC to my TV, and buy new GPUs all the time when the PS3 wasn't even scratching at what a PC could do, but the stuff the PS4 Pro can already do, and the jump the PS5 is slated to be, make me think I'm just never going to go back.

50 years from now, what are the sheer odds the hardware even matters anymore? I doubt there will even be a gap if there's even still a difference between a console and PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-qimg-1ec2e9de03140dd12ec70d56e7013b15.png 
Views:	290 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	81687  

6. I'm sure if we're not already there, then we're not far from that point when it comes to mesh complexity, but there are ways to improve visual quality pretty drastically that don't involve rendering more triangles.

Path-traced lighting makes a huge difference and doesn't require any increase in geometric detail. It can eat up all the computing power you want to throw at it, too.

Even the prettiest games usually have simplified and superficial smoke, fire, and water effects. Whatever power would be wasted on more complex geometry could instead be used on the physics needed to model those things somewhat properly.

If the next gen consoles can make a big enough jump in those areas where graphics have been kinda stagnant, then I'll be happy. If it's just the same thing as current gen, but at a higher resolution and refresh rate, then I can wait until I have a display that can take advantage of that.

7. For sure, my point was just that some improvements have diminishing returns and each console generation since the Atari has shrunk the gap between consoles and high ends PCs, and eventually that gap might just be gone.

When the PS3 was in it's later years you couldn't put a screen shot on a PS3 game and a PC game next to each other and NOT tell which was which. Now, without things in motion, it's a practical stalemate. Once computing power on these consoles gets to the point that frame rates are always the same, it will start to get harder to tell them in motion next to each other. It makes spending money on a PC feel less worth it with each generation and this comes from a dude who until about 3 years ago upgraded his GPU annually.

We're just hitting a wall where the quality a console game can get visually are so good that I don't care anymore.

8. The original Xbox, PS3 and Xbox 360 were near the quality of a high end PC. Hell, the original Xbox had Nvidia's top level GPU in it and was less expensive to own than an actual GeForce 3 graphics card. The PS4 and Xbox One, however, were what many would compare to a potatoe PC. They were waaay under-powered when they came out and ran most of their games @ 30fps. We got a mid-cycle update in the Xbox One X, and it is really good bang for the buck, and the PS4 Pro isn't too shabby either.

What gets me excited is that the new Xbox is going to have a 12.2 Tera-flop GPU and the rumored PS5 will have a 9.25 Teraflop GPU. My GTX 1080 Classified is just over 9 Teraflops, so that's saying something about the power these consoles may wield. Though, I've heard that these consoles will come in multi-tier performance categories. The 12.2 Teraflop Xbox may end up being over $600 and a $400 model will likely be closer to the One X, with a better CPU.

9. The most expensive console I've ever bought was a launch PS4 that was knocked down with a one-use 20% employee holiday discount, so I've barely broken paying over $300 for one. $500 is definitely gonna be a mental block.

But if the miracle scenario passes that they somehow work PS1, PS2, and PS3 backwards-compatability into it (and not through some streaming mess), I'd slap that money down no problem.

10. I wonder how well/how Ray Tracing will be used on the new hardware. It's an incredibly taxing feature to turn on on Nvidia's hardware so how efficient can AMD's tech be? It looks fantastic (the Quake and Minecraft mods are a good example that makes a difference and run well) but it's not worth it if framerate goes to hell. Now that consoles will be able to support RT I'd imagine it'll mature much faster since devs will have more reasons to adopt it.

Sony hasn't talked about anything specific about special hardware tricks but recently MS mentioned a new way to handle effects. Devs can target specific sections on the screen instead of the whole display to save resources to do other stuff on screen. I'm sure they (both) have a bunch of other tools to make things more efficient.

Since the CPU is the One and PS4 were already outdated, it held back a lot of advancement. Maybe we can get some computer AI that isn't from 2005 now. The next-gen is going to be great for PC games.