Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: This Year's Haul: 2020

I work in the bar industry, so I get this all too well (we closed voluntarily by the way, and then reopened for takeout but immediately stopped that after realizing the trickle of foot traffic was not worth the risk to the greater good). But I can tell you this: the only way through this is worrying about each other, not worrying about if the big companies make it through this. Even if your mortgage payments survive, two of your neighbors wont and you will likely soon follow. But in solidarity with each other and opposition to the corporations and banks (who will come out better and the jobs worse on the other side of this), nobody will lose their houses and wont matter if the Gap is still there. It's really the only path we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Counter point: Vasteel is a doo doo head.
    This is true, but at least I'm not a bougie capitalist piggy.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

2. I get where you're coming from, I do. I'm not going to argue that people should explicitly leave the house because they are bored and want entertainment. That said, there's nuance here that I think matters, it's not black and white. What we need to do as a society to get through a pandemic that will likely cause more deaths in the US than any other singular event in our lifetimes and will likely lead to more (thought hopefully shorter term) unemployment than even the great depression, is GRAY AS FUCK.

What I will say, is that if you're already at a Walmart in proper PPE, following their maximum occupancy requirements and social distancing guidelines while you shop for groceries and then you want to at the same time wander over and grab Final Fantasy while you're there? I don't see the meaningful harm that causes. If you make a special trip out of the house with no purpose other than to buy a video game, yeah that's reckless and you probably shouldn't do that. What gamevet did was closer to the first than the later. That's the important distinction in my mind. He was out of the house for work, proper PPE, going to a store that has been deemed safe to be open for business right now, he followed guidelines they had in place, made his purchase and got out.

I don't think he's a villain. I don't think most stores trying to get through this are evil, or at least most of their employees aren't and they're the ones most effected right now.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Congrats MVS, that is a nice car. I am surprised no one jumped on your on non-essential purchase. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
    I bought it in the before time. The long long ago. Back when toilet paper was common and there were things called movie theaters. A glorious time called 2019.

Though it is essential as the last of the NA v8 interceptors...

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

4. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    I work in the bar industry, so I get this all too well (we closed voluntarily by the way, and then reopened for takeout but immediately stopped that after realizing the trickle of foot traffic was not worth the risk to the greater good). But I can tell you this: the only way through this is worrying about each other, not worrying about if the big companies make it through this. Even if your mortgage payments survive, two of your neighbors wont and you will likely soon follow. But in solidarity with each other and opposition to the corporations and banks (who will come out better and the jobs worse on the other side of this), nobody will lose their houses and wont matter if the Gap is still there. It's really the only path we have.

This is true, but at least I'm not a bougie capitalist piggy.
    Is it possible for you to get on GrubHub? My wife just signed us up for that and we had a food delivered from a local restaurant. I saw that one of our local bar/restaurants was on the app.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Is it possible for you to get on GrubHub? My wife just signed us up for that and we had a food delivered from a local restaurant. I saw that one of our local bar/restaurants was on the app.
    We had, but again, just selling take out food doesnt make it worth the risk (and generally is a large loss, as the food has to be paid for regardless of if it sells and we pay our hourly employees a living wage).

And speaking for me personally, ever since Grubhub's deception regarding sick pay policies in the wake of this, I will never give them a dime nor will I fulfill an order for them on my shifts.

Something to consider when you order: that guy delivering for these services qualifies for no unemployment benefits, medical compensations, or time off if he gets sick. They have no choice but to continue working, even if they are sick and know it.

6. Class warfare writ large.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

7. Every restaurant has pleaded with customers to not use those delivery services if possible. Call the place directly. The fees and bullshit cause them to break even, at best, otherwise. If the place isn’t equipped to deliver, that’s one thing. But a lot are, so cut out the shitty middleman if possible to get your a foods.

In terms of dealing with them, Grubhub is the best as you have to opt in, but they are a royal pain in the ass to deal with too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    that guy delivering for these services qualifies for no unemployment benefits, medical compensations, or time off if he gets sick. They have no choice but to continue working, even if they are sick and know it.
    That's pretty much all of these app based jobs, right? Amazon delivery, Rideshare, dog walking, etc.

10. It's almost as if, and bear with me here, there's a difference between working for a company that has to pay federal unemployment tax so you're covered if you lose your job and being an independent contractor where you've paid NONE DOLLARS towards the funds that supply unemployment insurance payments to the unemployed. The additional freedom that being a gig worker has is offset by no outside benefits and less protection if you can't work. Thems the breaks.

That being said, the CARES Act is giving gig workers and self employed people unemployment for the time being. Hopefully this is a wake up call for some people that have over leveraged themselves to make money using AirBnB or Uber. Being your own "boss" is cool, but having no safety net is a total motherfucker. It's maybe not worth it to bet your entire way of living on Uber.
    Last edited by Opaque; 25 Apr 2020 at 02:19 AM.