Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1424262728293032 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Coronavirus 2020 Thread

1. The whole point of lockdown is to slow the spread, not stop it. If some people need to move around then that’s what they do, it’s a hell of a lot slower to spread than letting everyone act like normal.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

2. Tough crowd

3. SDCC officially cancelled. Not a surprise.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. It was cancelled for anything meaningful years ago.

Also old Townsend is live-streaming drunk. I think this quarantine is getting to him.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. I think the idea of many things reopening by July is possible, for some areas it's maybe even probable that restaurants and retail will be open prior to July. Huge gatherings of people like sporting events or concerts? I don't see it unless things go very, very well.

To bank such a huge convention on the best case scenario would have been suicide.

6. Cancelling SDCC is the right thing to do, but man, losing an event of that scale will really buttfuck San Diego's local economy. They'll be a massive trickle-down effect, from the hotels that guests and attendees would be staying at to the restaurants and other venues that they'd be hitting up during the off-hours. Everyone'll feel it.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Honestly, the hotel and airline industries will probably never go back to 'full strength,' there's gonna be a lot of pain there until this thing is so far in the rearview that people forget it happened.

Companies have got to be taking a real hard look at how much business trips and conferences were costing them vs. what teleconferencing is, and saying "Wait, why the fuck were we paying for all that?"

Nerd conventions will still do well, but those aren't a constant income stream like business travel was.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 18 Apr 2020 at 08:42 AM.

8. What I said could obviously be used as a blanket statement covering any conferences, conventions, trade shows, or large-scale meetings canceled due to the pandemic. And there's A LOT of them nationwide, and every host city will feel those cancellations for years to come.

And yeah, many companies will probably take this as an opportunity to re-evaluate the need for these types of events going forward. There is also going to be an increased reliance on telecommuting in workforces; a lot of companies are already using this situation as a test case.

There are going to be permanent effects from this.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 18 Apr 2020 at 08:58 AM.

9. I think movie theaters will be fucked going forward. I know I rather pay a few more dollars to stream a new kids movie on release. Plenty of parents feel the same way (most don't want to sit there and watch Trolls 7). I can see people cutting down and only go for the summer/Xmas blockbusters and just stream the rest at home.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Cancelling SDCC is the right thing to do, but man, losing an event of that scale will really buttfuck San Diego's local economy. They'll be a massive trickle-down effect, from the hotels that guests and attendees would be staying at to the restaurants and other venues that they'd be hitting up during the off-hours. Everyone'll feel it.
    Oh we've been fucked since the hotels went vacant last month. Something like a third of our budget is from hotel taxes.