Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 41416171819202232 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Coronavirus 2020 Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It doesn't matter if she has it covering her mouth, her nose, or her asshole, it isn't doing anything for her.
    There actually is some research that shows masks are somewhat useful — better than none anyway — for helping stop airborne particles.

One (limited) study:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...95670113000698

There’s a bit of a trust problem in telling the population not to bother with masks because they don’t work, then saying medical workers need them badly. If they don’t work why would they bother? Because the baseline often being cited against cotton based face masks is N95. But against no coverage there’s some obvious benefits (like not touching your face) and some evidence showing it protects. That’s why medical staff need them.

The real reason we don't wear masks is because there aren't enough for the doctors and nurses who need them, and are already having to use the same sets of PPE for entire days. An N95 will likely stop airborne IF it is fitted properly
    If it isn't, it won't stop shit. Healthcare workers are trained to fit them by getting shot with aspertame mist which they can taste if the mask isn't fitted properly

3. I want one of those old-timey diving helmets to wear when I go out.

4. I like your thinking, kedawa. I've been thinking of going full Big Daddy.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX View Post
    I like your thinking, kedawa. I've been thinking of going full Big Daddy.
    I could see that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    The real reason we don't wear masks is because there aren't enough for the doctors and nurses who need them, and are already having to use the same sets of PPE for entire days. An N95 will likely stop airborne IF it is fitted properly
    If it isn't, it won't stop shit. Healthcare workers are trained to fit them by getting shot with aspertame mist which they can taste if the mask isn't fitted properly
    There is enough initial evidence to suggest that’s wrong. That particular study I linked rebukes it. The New York Times has another article listing several sources that indicate masks are protective. Of course they don’t work as well as fitted N95 masks (particularly for very fine particles) but they work better than NO masks. There’s a lot of bad misinformation and poor messaging going around. Ironically the Official Messaging (TM) you’re running is corroding trust and having the opposite effect – people hear they don’t work and then that medical personnel need them because there’s a shortage. That reads like someone talking out of both sides of their mouth.

They should’ve just said there’s a shortage and more people will die if doctors, nurses, and medical staff aren’t protected on the front lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I want one of those old-timey diving helmets to wear when I go out.
    Think how jacked your traps will be!
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Mar 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. I haven't heard anyone say masks don't work. What I have heard is that poor quality, poorly-fitted masks can do more harm than good because people will be touching their faces in order to make it comfortable, and they may get a false sense of security.

8. Big surprise. Wuhan residents say Chinese death numbers are bullshit. Residents estimate deaths of 40,000 easily. Wtf China.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

9. There's not a lot I'm confident in right now, the world is crazy and on fire.

I'd bet absolutely anything that numbers out of China and Russia are intentionally wrong.

10. Oh absolutely. The day they came out and said they had no new cases I laughed and thought bullshit.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle