Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx

1. Half-Life: Alyx

A hair over an hour to Half-Life: Alyx. I broke down and ordered it on Friday and the preload is just sitting there, waiting. Waiting...

2. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A hair over an hour to Half-Life: Alyx. I broke down and ordered it on Friday and the preload is just sitting there, waiting. Waiting...
    Same. Working from home, and waiting for my lunch break.

3. Monday is a day off for me so I'm ready, except for having just now realized I'm starving so am making lunch. Being a grown adult meansI'm going to eat before play, unless I suck at being an adult. Soooo... 50/50?

4. Ok, so that's really amazingly fantastic. I'm feeling pretty sure that feeding a gas can to a barnacle is never going to get old. I also spent way too much time just playing with everything in the opening scene, which is a balcony overlooking City 17. Tossing empty bottles into the street below had no reason to be as entertaining as it turned out to be.

5. Yeah, this is incredible. It really strikes that right balance between feeling custom-built for VR and still feeling like a real full-fledged Half Life game. The tone and atmosphere is incredible, and returning to City 17 is breathtaking. It's incredibly nostalgic but also one of the best VR environments I've seen. The pace is way different, way slower, since you want to soak in the environment and interact with everything. But HL already skewed toward a slower pace compared to its contemporaries because it had so many little details and so much environmental storytelling, so this feels like a logical extension of that.

I know this isn't Half Life 3, but it also isn't not Half Life 3, if that makes sense. It's very much a real HL game and next step for the series.

6. Thanks for the impressions guys! Looking forward to checking it out but my conscience says I must clear at least something offa my backlog first. Still haven't even finished Luigi's Mansion... haha

7. I feel guilty about not finishing Luigi's Mansion 3. I was enjoying it immensely, but on the plus side I just rolled a tire down a staircase for no reason whatsoever other than to see if I could. So that worked out well.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah, this is incredible. It really strikes that right balance between feeling custom-built for VR and still feeling like a real full-fledged Half Life game. The tone and atmosphere is incredible, and returning to City 17 is breathtaking. It's incredibly nostalgic but also one of the best VR environments I've seen. The pace is way different, way slower, since you want to soak in the environment and interact with everything. But HL already skewed toward a slower pace compared to its contemporaries because it had so many little details and so much environmental storytelling, so this feels like a logical extension of that.

I know this isn't Half Life 3, but it also isn't not Half Life 3, if that makes sense. It's very much a real HL game and next step for the series.
    Agreed with all this. It's so, so good so far, traditional but not retreading ground, and such a good template for what a big VR game should be.

9. After listening to years of Idle Thumbs talk about their dream of working on HL3, it’s awesome that they got to work on this and to hear that it turned out awesome is awesome.

10. This is the first VR game I want to play, it looks so cool.