Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx

1. Regular Half Life freaks me out all of the time (head crabs, ravenholm, exploring dark corridors, etc). Is there any freakiness in VR? Jump scares, that kinda thing? My imagination typically gets the best of me.

2. Depends on how you feel about having life-sized head crabs jump at you.

3. lol. Not very good at all, my friend.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    Regular Half Life freaks me out all of the time (head crabs, ravenholm, exploring dark corridors, etc). Is there any freakiness in VR? Jump scares, that kinda thing? My imagination typically gets the best of me.
    Oh yeah, all of that. Well, not a lot of cheap jump scares, but expect to be shining a flashlight in pitch dark while head crabs try to jump at you.

I personally find it to be the right level of scary for VR, if that means anything. It isn't RE7/PT/Outlast levels of scary. But Half Life levels.

5. Are those freaky-ass things that hang from the cieling and try to pull you up and eat you in this game? If so, what's that like in VR?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Are those freaky-ass things that hang from the cieling and try to pull you up and eat you in this game? If so, what's that like in VR?
    Barnacles. Yes they're there (and pretty common) and when they wrap their slimy tongue around your neck and start pulling you up, it's as horrifying as you'd think.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Barnacles. Yes they're there (and pretty common) and when they wrap their slimy tongue around your neck and start pulling you up, it's as horrifying as you'd think.
    Oh, gawd!

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Watched some clips on YouTube. Holy mother of fuck, this is a game-changer. I've never seen anything like it in terms of graphic fidelity and interaction in a VR game. It must be incredible playing this.

And that after-credits scene. Holy shit, please. Although if it IS finally a prelude to Half-Life 3, I'm not sure how I feel about Valve retroactively undoing the emotional cliffhanger we were left with 13 years ago by magically allowing Alyx to save Eli. I was really intrigued about some of the leaked material that would have made up Episode 3 (heading to the Arctic to find the Aperture Science vessel and so on), but obviously given the amount of time that has past, plans have likely changed. And that's assuming HL3 is ever actually going to be made, but adding that after-credit scene if it's NOT is an even bigger dick move than ending Episode 2 on a cliffhanger and making people wait 13 years for anything even remotely resembling a continuance.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 30 Mar 2020 at 11:56 PM.

9. Finished the game, 14 hours.

I'm really blown away. This game had so much resting on it, not just the Half Life name, but the 13 years away, and the expectation to be a killer app for a whole new medium, and somehow it managed to succeed on all those fronts.

It definitely feels like a much bolder, fresher, and more modern game than anything that would have come from past Episode 3/HL3 efforts. VR helps them to strike that balance between trying something new and keeping the spirit of what makes Half-Life Half-Life. So it's still this super linear FPS built around huge setpieces and immersive world building, and it turns out all those elements are really enhanced by VR. The exploration and puzzle solving and world building work really well when you feel like you're there, and the horror elements are way more frightening. And the combat works really well, too, although the AI seems dumbed down to compensate for the challenge of aiming without a cursor and moving more slowly. Some of the setpieces and stages are among the best in the series. This was as satisfying to me as anything with 3 in the name.

As a VR killer app, I think it's everything it needed to be. We have had good AAA-ish games in VR, long games, and games in major franchises, but one thing we haven't had all these things at once; a VR-exclusive in an existing series that is as good and as big as the games before it. But this manages to be that. And, crucially, it's a game that feels like it's better because of VR, not limited by it. I don't think that would have worked with most series, it's just kind of kismet that Half-Life fits into this medium so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Watched some clips on YouTube. Holy mother of fuck, this is a game-changer. I've never seen anything like it in terms of graphic fidelity and interaction in a VR game. It must be incredible playing this.

And that after-credits scene. Holy shit, please. Although if it IS finally a prelude to Half-Life 3, I'm not sure how I feel about Valve retroactively undoing the emotional cliffhanger we were left on 17 years ago by magically allowing Alyx to save Eli. I was really intrigued about some of the leaked material that would have made up Episode 3 (heading to the Arctic to find the Aperture Science vessel and so on), but obviously given the amount of time that has past, plans have likely changed. And that's assuming HL3 is ever actually going to be made, but adding that after-credit scene if it's NOT is an even bigger dick move than ending Episode 2 on a cliffhanger and making people wait 13 years for anything even remotely resembling a continuance.
    End game spoiler:
    I think what they tried to do with HL3 never came together, and undoing it is a way for them to start fresh and go a completely different direction than they meant to for Episode 3. Episode 3 is Duke Nukem Forever at this point, it can't ever be what it needs to be, so they found a way to start over. What's intriguing to me about this ending is that it potentially sets up an Alyx 2 as well, and takes these characters in divergent directions.

10. Also, this has a 94 on Metacritic right now, with a 9.1 user score. Same as God of War. This might be game of the year even with Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk coming.