Thread: Read-Along Record & Comic Combos

1. Read-Along Record & Comic Combos

I was going through some stuff and found all my old "read-along" phonograph record & comic combos from when I was a kid. Holy shit, I loved these. There were some GI Joe (the old-school one with the beard) and Star Trek ones that were fun, but it was the horror ones from Marvel Comics that really left an impression on me. The Dracula and Frankenstein ones were especially creepy and atmospheric, and oh look! They're actually on YouTube! Along with the Spider-Man vs. Man-Wolf one!

Anyone remember these? If not you had a deprived childhood and your parents didn't love you.

And here's the GI Joe ones.

Last edited by Dolemite; 24 Mar 2020 at 06:13 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

I have 2 Star Trek ones, and a Space: 1999 one. In one of the Star Treks Sulu is African and Uhura is a blonde white lady

3. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    I have 2 Star Trek ones, and a Space: 1999 one. In one of the Star Treks Sulu is African and Uhura is a blonde white lady
    wat

Is one of the Star Trek ones you have about fleas that made the crew laugh uncontrollably?

And yeah, I remember the Space 1999 one also, but I don't think that one actually came with a comic book, did it?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 25 Mar 2020 at 07:28 AM.

I had the little book ones. And the mad magazine record.

5. I dont have any Marvel one, but I have Classics Illustrated type joints that were probably made by the same company as they have that same Boon and Record banner on them.

6. My parents didn't love me enough to buy any, but I borrowed a couple from the library. What stood out the most was hearing the voice actor for The Thing. I was a big fan of Fantastic Four comics and it changed the way I heard Ben Grimm's voice in my mind as I read from then on.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My parents didn't love me enough to buy any
    I'm sure they loved you very much in their own way.

but I borrowed a couple from the library. What stood out the most was hearing the voice actor for The Thing. I was a big fan of Fantastic Four comics and it changed the way I heard Ben Grimm's voice in my mind as I read from then on.
    Hmm. That reminds me of a similar experience. I've been a big Judge Dredd fan for years (from back when a company called Eagle Comics started re-publishing stories from 2000AD over here in the States).

Anyway, a while back a company called Big Finish started doing a number of audio plays based on properties such as Doctor Who and 2000AD, including a number of Judge Dredd plays. Dredd was voiced by a Brit named Toby Longworth, and when I first heard him as Dredd it kinda knocked me on my ass. I never really try to envision specific voices for comic book characters other than generalities like having a "gruff voice" or whatnot, so I had never really thought about how Dredd should specifically sound. But Longworth's rendition of Dredd was literally the most perfect voice for any character that I've ever heard, before or since. He just nailed it 150%. I was going back and forth between home and update NY regularly at the time while my girlfriend was interning for her PhD, so I bought and downloaded a bunch of Big Finish stuff to listen to on the trips, including all of the Dredd plays.

All of the Big Finish Dredd plays were on YouTube, but I just looked for links and I can't find them now. I guess they got yanked for whatever reason, which is a shame because they were REALLY well-done in terms of writing, acting, and sound design. But Longworth also voiced Dredd in a shitty PS2 FPS game, so you can at least check that out and hear his take on the character.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 26 Mar 2020 at 12:08 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww