Thread: Questions about people who can fix older hardware.

1. Nintendo DS Questions about people who can fix older hardware.

So yeah my DSI XL I bought brand new many years ago has a slight issue that's creeped up on it. I've never dropped it and I always make it a point to take care of the things I own but for some reason when I'm playing a game on it, If I slightly move it when playing, the system will randomly shut off. It doesn't do it all the time but it's been frequent enough where I think something might be loose but I'm not a tech guy when it comes to stuff like this so I'm just guessing.

I was wondering maybe the battery is going bad or maybe a ribbon cable of some sorts might be loose. I wanted to ask your guys opinions and what options I have to get this unit looked at because I don't want to think my system is dying from something I might have done.

So who would you suggest maybe I contact about seeing who can look at my system or is there something I might be unaware of.

This is the model/color I have..

6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. I am not deep enough into the world of DSI XL's to know if this is something that's common with them or not, but I can recommend some people you can contact to see if they'll look into it. I mostly deal with these peeps on twitter so you can contact them there I think most have websites or emails too. Here are there twitter links though since its the easiest thing I have on hand to share. All of them I've had do stuff for me in the past and were good, though most of them were slow. IFixRetro has done a bunch of stuff for me now and that dude's turn around time is ridiculously fast and he does good work.

https://twitter.com/Retrofixes

https://twitter.com/Mobiusstriptech

https://twitter.com/iFixRetro

There's also Voultar (google Voultar's mod shop) who does insanely good work but he is always super busy now. I mean shit years ago when I had him do some stuff for me he was busy and now he is in ridiculous demand.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Dude thanks for this bro. I'll hit it up. It's annoying when playing a game and the shit just shuts off for no reason.

Edit: I spoke to a friend of mine and he says it's caused by opening and closing the unit and says it's not worth fixing it and that I should just throw it away since he said it could run upwards of $150.00 to fix what I think would be a minor issue.

I'm really bummed if that would the case since I feel like buying another unit would be just compounding an issue that seems it would be easy to fix.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 06 May 2020 at 05:04 PM.

4. Can you reproduce the issue if you flex the system a bit?

It's probably a good idea to have someone with experience look at it. You can disassemble and reassemble the DSi XL with a small Philips screwdriver and steady hands, and in my case a magnifying glass. I mostly worked with the DS Lite, which was a pain in the ass sometimes, but I don't remember the DSi systems being quite as bad. Neither are as bad as the PSP in my experience.

I would still recommend taking out the battery and inspecting the terminals yourself. It only takes a minute to open the battery hatch and pop out the battery.

5. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Also he mentioned while it could be that issue he said sometimes the battery could go bad that even if it had a full charge it might not be seated correctly.

Generally the shut off issue isn't extreme and it happens very rarely but it's enough where I've started to get annoyed by it.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 06 May 2020 at 06:38 PM.

I've never had to mess with a DS but yeah, check the battery. The symptoms sound suspiciously like a cell phone whose lithium ion battery has swollen a little and is making poor contact.

7. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I've never had to mess with a DS but yeah, check the battery. The symptoms sound suspiciously like a cell phone whose lithium ion battery has swollen a little and is making poor contact.
    I did check it and the battery seems "OK" either way I went ahead and bought a brand new OEM battery for it for like 9 bucks so I hope that resolves the issue. I remember my 3DS XL did actually have that problem you talked about.