Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unreal Engine 5 (Demo Running on Playstation 5)

1. I still think there's kind of a practical limit to how much devs can leverage that storage simply because the total amount of it is still fairly limited. It isn't like people will be making 300GB games just because they can now load the assets in a reasonable amount of time. I think it will be a big quality of life improvement for getting into a game and fast traveling and the like but maybe not the total game changer it's being hyped as.

2. I think it's more that a 300GB game will have 300GB of unique assets, instead of taking up the same amount of space and having half that.
    If anything, this will be a boon for the PC hardware market. Now all the PC ballers are going to need to upgrade to a new high speed storage solution. Although, I guess this isn't a unique situation. Games loaded way faster on the Sega Genesis than they ever did on a 486 PC, after all.

3. Itís not just the speed of the SSD. Itís about a dedicated piece of hardware that works with the SSD to make loading assets seamless. Even a PC with a 18GBPS SSD will have delays, including how Windows manages resources. Thatís what Linus was apologizing for being wrong about it.
    <a href=http://psnprofiles.com/Diehardgamer target=_blank>http://psnprofiles.com/Diehardgamer</a>

4. Yeah, I don't know why he would doubt that a dedicated piece of hardware with an entire system tuned and optimized around it would be faster than an architecture built to work with any random selection of parts. I could understand being skeptical of claims coming from Sony themselves, but third parties, and especially middleware developers, have no reason to talk it up.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why he would doubt that a dedicated piece of hardware with an entire system tuned and optimized around it would be faster than an architecture built to work with any random selection of parts. I could understand being skeptical of claims coming from Sony themselves, but third parties, and especially middleware developers, have no reason to talk it up.
    PCMR goofs kind of think Tim Sweeney is the antichrist though.