Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unreal Engine 5 (Demo Running on Playstation 5)

1. I still think there's kind of a practical limit to how much devs can leverage that storage simply because the total amount of it is still fairly limited. It isn't like people will be making 300GB games just because they can now load the assets in a reasonable amount of time. I think it will be a big quality of life improvement for getting into a game and fast traveling and the like but maybe not the total game changer it's being hyped as.

2. I think it's more that a 300GB game will have 300GB of unique assets, instead of taking up the same amount of space and having half that.
    If anything, this will be a boon for the PC hardware market. Now all the PC ballers are going to need to upgrade to a new high speed storage solution. Although, I guess this isn't a unique situation. Games loaded way faster on the Sega Genesis than they ever did on a 486 PC, after all.

3. It’s not just the speed of the SSD. It’s about a dedicated piece of hardware that works with the SSD to make loading assets seamless. Even a PC with a 18GBPS SSD will have delays, including how Windows manages resources. That’s what Linus was apologizing for being wrong about it.

4. Yeah, I don't know why he would doubt that a dedicated piece of hardware with an entire system tuned and optimized around it would be faster than an architecture built to work with any random selection of parts. I could understand being skeptical of claims coming from Sony themselves, but third parties, and especially middleware developers, have no reason to talk it up.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why he would doubt that a dedicated piece of hardware with an entire system tuned and optimized around it would be faster than an architecture built to work with any random selection of parts. I could understand being skeptical of claims coming from Sony themselves, but third parties, and especially middleware developers, have no reason to talk it up.
    PCMR goofs kind of think Tim Sweeney is the antichrist though.

6. if anyone is interested in the new tech engine stuff... here ya go:

look here, upon a sig graveyard.

7. It makes you wonder if all of this hardware created to do Ray Tracing, will become the old way, once this thing takes root.

8. OoOoOo, this update is on XSX hardware. Exciting stuff, does this mean developers have this now? iirc they said late 2021 when they announced this so we shouldn't expect a game to use this until well into 2022.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It’s not just the speed of the SSD. It’s about a dedicated piece of hardware that works with the SSD to make loading assets seamless. Even a PC with a 18GBPS SSD will have delays, including how Windows manages resources. That’s what Linus was apologizing for being wrong about it.
    There's always been something to say about console being consistent meaning you can squeeze more out of the hardware, relative to the same hardware "power" running a Windows OS and having mix matches drivers and pieces and unknown bottle necks, ect.

For a long time the raw power of the gap between console and PC made it a moot point, but some of the stuff they're showing here, and how you can build a game around known hardware of this type, is really impressive. It's something that won't be able to universally replicate on PC even if similar hardware structures are brought to market, or at least PC games can't be made to depend on it, because so many users won't have it. I stand by my thinking that this is the generation that starts a trend of dedicated game consoles being the premiere place for games because specific architecture, even if a few years older than current available PC parts, will allow for better experiences.
    Last edited by Opaque; 27 May 2021 at 03:46 PM.