Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best/most reliable USB storage option for the Wii U?

1. Nevermind! Some people are still calling them IDE, as I did too.

2. The terms are used interchangeably, but I'm sure there's some distinction. I recall needing a special ribbon cable to get speeds higher than ATA-66.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I might have gave you the wrong info on your old HDD. I started thinking about it and IDE is actually from the late 80s, into the early 90s. I think you might actually have a PATA (Parellel ATA) drive. Did it have a 40 pin ribbon cable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parall...#IDE_and_ATA-1

These were used in computers built in mid 90s, up to around late 2000s, when everyone started using SATA.

Man that looks like the inside of my old PC. I cleaned it regularly but dust was always a bitch. lol
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. It's been sitting on the bottom of a book shelf with some other scrapped PC parts for years. I think I even have a PATA DVD drive there.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The terms are used interchangeably, but I'm sure there's some distinction. I recall needing a special ribbon cable to get speeds higher than ATA-66.
    Yeah, but when PATA drives arrived, they were kind of distinguished as their own thing. I wasn't wrong when I told him he had a IDE drive, it's just that the thought of PATA dawned on me, and I had to look it up. Man, that's going back almost 20 years, when I had an HP Pavilion, that I'd added a second HDD drive and replaced the CD Drive with a DVD burner using the PATA ribbon cables. There was still some older, along with newer stuff coming around back then. You had to really be careful with what you'd bought. There was one time when I'd bought an AGP graphics card, only to realize that my PC only had PCI slots.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Aug 2020 at 10:47 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's been sitting on the bottom of a book shelf with some other scrapped PC parts for years. I think I even have a PATA DVD drive there.

Yeah, but when PATA drives arrived, they were kind of distinguished as their own thing. I wasn't wrong when I told him he had a IDE drive, it's just that the thought of PATA dawned on me, and I had to look it up. Man, that's going back almost 20 years, when I had an HP Pavilion, that I'd added a second HDD drive and replaced the CD Drive with a DVD burner using the PATA ribbon cables. There was still some older, along with newer stuff coming around back then. You had to really be careful with what you'd bought. There was one time when I'd bought an AGP graphics card, only to realize that my PC only had PCI slots.
    I actually remember those days too. A universal standard wasn't as applied as it is these days.

6. Love this thread! Been thinking about finding a reason to bust out the Wii U. I never bothered finishing Star Fox Zero, and didn't finish Wind Waker either. I been itching to play a Zelda so it might be worth getting Twilight Princess for Wii U but I imagine they're gonna announce a Switch version as soon as I get a copy.

Wii U only had like 32GB internal memory right? Shiet, same as Switch. I was all physical back then, might be getting one of these enclosures as well.

7. I believe the white Wii U only had 8GB. Nobody wanted that thing.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I believe the white Wii U only had 8GB. Nobody wanted that thing.
    Yeah you were right. They released that as a "Cheaper" option but honestly there was no real reason to make it. 32Gigs was small as fuck as it is and downloading whole games to the system would choke you out the fuck fast along with whatever DLC and updates the system has. Honestly I've been loving playing Twilight Princess on the system. Even tho I like the whole access to the menu on the Wii U game pad, I'm more comfortable playing with the Pro-Controller.

As far as Twilight Princess goes, find a copy that comes with the Wolf Link Amiibo. All copies of that game originally shipped with it and that Amiibo actually works with Breath of the Wild.

9. Yeah, I got Twilight Princess with the Amiibo.

10. Nintendo GameCube

Just was randomly looking around and I never realized that Nintendo had released a high capacity battery for the system that more then doubles the charge of the Wii U pad. This makes me sad since I did a few price checks and it's already up to 3 bills in cost for this thing. Usually I prefer OEM stuff for this but I might buy a 3rd party one since they're way cheaper.

What's cool about this Nintendo actually designed the battery case to hold this larger battery. Also if you hadn't gotten one, I 100% suggest getting a Wii U Pro-Controller.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 20 Aug 2020 at 06:31 PM.