Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best/most reliable USB storage option for the Wii U?

1. Treasure What's the best/most reliable USB storage option for the Wii U?

My brother originally got me a portable 1 TB HD for my Wii U and works kinda ok. The issue I have it sometimes I get an error message involving it or as of now, It can't even see the damn thing anymore so I'm wondering what you guys have in your old Wii U system that hasn't tried to shit the bed so to speak.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. I have never plugged in a portable hdd to the Wii U, so this comment is pretty useless. Sorry.

3. Nah it's fine. Been thinking maybe a USB Flashdrive over an HDD.

4. Yeah no experience here with the Wii U & external drives here either. But I always had better results with any drive that had an external power source. I had problems with the 360 and a USB powered HDD in the past.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

5. I use the 2TB Seagate USB backup drive with my PS4. Some people don’t like the brand, but I’ve never had issues with their drives. If you’re worried about it, there’s always Western Digital. My internal 1TB drive is Hitachi, btw.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seagate-S...lack/790131533

I don’t have an external HDD connected to my Wii U.

6. Yeah I would stay far away from anything Seagate. Every single Seagate drive I've owned has died with in 4 years. They're garbage tier pieces of shit. There's even that one online storage company that publishes their drive failure rates every year and Seagate for the last like 5+ years has had by far the most failed drives out of any company.

I've had an external drive connected to my Wii U, since basically day 1. I started with an external Seagate that shit the bed after 2 years and lost all my saves. After that I bought an enclosure, and a regular desk top Western Digital hdd. I will note that the enclosure I bought has an external power supply, which seems to make a difference. The hard drive enclosure I use doesn't look like its made any more, but I also have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exter...s%2C149&sr=8-3 that I use for when I need to add games to my PS2 hard drive, and it works great. Though maybe this will be bigger than you want. I would just look for a well reviewed enclosure with an external power supply. It doesn't need to be anything crazy fast since the Wii U's USB port is just USB 2.0. I would also go with a Western Digital hdd.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Yeah I would stay far away from anything Seagate. Every single Seagate drive I've owned has died with in 4 years. They're garbage tier pieces of shit. There's even that one online storage company that publishes their drive failure rates every year and Seagate for the last like 5+ years has had by far the most failed drives out of any company.

I've had an external drive connected to my Wii U, since basically day 1. I started with an external Seagate that shit the bed after 2 years and lost all my saves. After that I bought an enclosure, and a regular desk top Western Digital hdd. I will note that the enclosure I bought has an external power supply, which seems to make a difference. The hard drive enclosure I use doesn't look like its made any more, but I also have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exter...s%2C149&sr=8-3 that I use for when I need to add games to my PS2 hard drive, and it works great. Though maybe this will be bigger than you want. I would just look for a well reviewed enclosure with an external power supply. It doesn't need to be anything crazy fast since the Wii U's USB port is just USB 2.0. I would also go with a Western Digital hdd.
    Damn thanks for the advice on this. I never knew these enclosure units even existed!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Yeah I would stay far away from anything Seagate. Every single Seagate drive I've owned has died with in 4 years. They're garbage tier pieces of shit. There's even that one online storage company that publishes their drive failure rates every year and Seagate for the last like 5+ years has had by far the most failed drives out of any company.

I've heard that. I've looked into Hard Drive Failure rates and the general consensus was that most of them have about the same percentage of failure. I've had one 750GB HDD fail on me and I believe it failed because of the wierd platter design for such a drive. I have two 500GB Barracuda HDDs that I've had for nearly a decade, moved around to multiple PC builds and they're still going still going strong. I have two Seagate Portables, with one having the backup data from my PS3 from over 7 years ago and it still works. That being said, Western Digital is probably the best choice.

9. HGST is/was probably the best choice but I don't know who makes them now at this point.

Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. I looked at that survey earlier today, and I believe that I'd looked at their survey last year as well.

I think that I might have put a 1TB HGST HDD in my 60GB PS3. It was one of the few 7,200 rpm lapton HDDs that Fry's had in stock.