Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1323252627282931 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 408

Thread: The Biden Presidency

  1. https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/gr...rs/6226197002/

    I'm a big fan of the maps on that page. Not just the first or second one, but the other two describing voter turnout & shift. If you'd told me ten years ago that I'd be looking for all kinds of data visualization I'd probably have laughed in your face but here we are.

    Re: Giving someone crap for a vote I disagree with. This is my thing and I own it... but bullies can eat shit, and so can their enablers.

    I wasn't old enough to vote for him but I liked Clinton earlier in my life. As time has gone on that has changed, but whatever. A vote for him wasn't an endorsement of everything he did. I still don't like Bush and didn't vote for him, but he had a couple of good things like with NASA and some trade agreements. Voting for him wasn't an approval of his bad steps, though. (In fact, if I recall correctly, I took 2004 pretty hard as the country repudiating my beliefs.) Obama was good, but he made some bad choices, like on immigration and foreign policy. Same as before, voting for him wasn't accepting everything about him. Why? None of them are bullies.

    But Trump is a bully. Everything he does comes from a place of malice caused by weakness. He's shown his character constantly over the past four years. So a vote for him encapsulates approval of him, even if made only because taxes or whatever. I'm willing to give a pass to people who went for him in 2016 but didn't in 2020, even if they undervoted or went for someone other than Biden. But if, after four years of Trump not governing and behaving like a child, someone checked him off again? Fuck them. They're the reason the country's a mess. They're okay with letting some selfish motivation outweigh the country's greater good. They're fine with the bully harming others because it isn't them.

    If all that sounds similar to what Cheeks is saying, it's because it is. Where I suppose I differ is that I think it's possible to agree Trump was awful AND still hold past/other politicians accountable, and while I can't stand whatabout examples, I don't always discount them. Depends on my mood... I know I've been vocal about it here and I know I've given Biden some huge passes but trust me, that'll change.

    The only thing I'll credit Trump with is voter turnout/awareness. We got real fuckin' lazy as a nation with regard to our voting. I think he changed that. I certainly will be as active as possible in all future elections and not take anything for granted. (What if that was the real maga?)

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    What I'm saying is that the claims of the mail-in ballots being primarily poor Democratic voters, isn't following suit.
    I think I'm still not following, unfortunately. Who is saying that being poor has anything to do with it? (Not being a smartass, it's literally not something I've seen.)
    Last edited by Calliander; 12 Nov 2020 at 01:03 AM.
    hey, check out https://kiwisbybeat.net – it's a lot of rezo's comics

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post



    I think I'm still not following, unfortunately. Who is saying that being poor has anything to do with it? (Not being a smartass, it's literally not something I've seen.)
    There are allegations that the Republicans have made it hard for people in the poorer areas of major cities to vote, especially the predominantly black communities. It may very well be true, and I wouldn't put it passed a party to do those sort of shady things to leverage votes in their favor. But, those less urban counties fall into that demographic, yet they aren't encountering those same issues. Netflix has a series on voting that sheds some light on that subject.



    Here's an article (from the NYT of all places) tackles that controversial issue.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/01/o...publicans.html
    Last edited by gamevet; 12 Nov 2020 at 01:51 AM.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You'd be surprised just how different everything is once you get outside of the city areas. I was in Haslet Texas (just outside of Fort Worth) and I was one of the few people that had a mask on my face. Get even further out and people look at you like you're an idiot for wearing a mask.

    Those people (in those small towns) are so disconnected from the rest of the world around them, because they are pretty much just one big messed up family that looks what's happening in the cities as not being there problem. Voting, or any other gathering, is looked upon by them as a big event, because nothing else is going on where they live.



    What I'm saying is that the claims of the mail-in ballots being primarily poor Democratic voters, isn't following suit. If that was the case, those poor counties (with very small populations) should have had more votes for the Democrats, but that wasn't the case. So, assuming that poor people (that mailed in their ballots) surely must have been Democrat, is a false assumption, based on those areas voting primarily for the Republican candidate.
    Go look up the wiki page on the Southern Strategy. That explains why rural america votes Republican despite things like trickle down economics clearly not helping rural US.

  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    There are allegations that the Republicans have made it hard for people in the poorer areas of major cities to vote, especially the predominantly black communities. It may very well be true, and I wouldn't put it passed a party to do those sort of shady things to leverage votes in their favor. But, those less urban counties fall into that demographic, yet they aren't encountering those same issues. Netflix has a series on voting that sheds some light on that subject.



    Here's an article (from the NYT of all places) tackles that controversial issue.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/01/o...publicans.html
    Are you for real? That isnt Bout income. It's about skin color and culture.

    Poor whites in rural america still often live with someone with a working vehical. That is not the case for poor minorities in cities. They might not have transportation. They might not have a gov approved ID. They might not have a mailing address. They might be zoned to have one voting location 30 or more minutes away, servicing 1000s of people.

    I on the other hand live in. Town of 300 to 400 people. My voting location was at the end of my street. I walked there and got mexican food on my walk home.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    They're fine with the bully harming others because it isn't them.
    What if Trump is the reaction to that? Those who felt bullied by their job sent overseas and then told they should be grateful for the privilege they have by media and celebrities who made 4X to 20X what they do?

    Trump delivered on bringing manufacturing jobs back in record numbers. [1] [2] And, I am worried Biden will drop the tariffs and watch those jobs go back overseas. It’s telling how despite Biden’s benefit to China and Mexico’s economy, neither will endorse him yet [3]. That’s probably because of how Trump bullied them.

    But, employment doesn’t mean shit if the US is in a winless civil war between the cities and the country.

    And it didn’t dawn on me until COVID and the riots, just how far CNN’s Trump pissed off 20-40% of the country. Trump is right the media is full of shit with their click-bait headlines and focus on hot take opinions over reporting. (Watch or read an interview and tally how many statements an interviewer makes over questions. Who’s getting interviewed here?) But, Trump’s fighting with the media wasn’t constructive. He didn’t try to better them. He lied and manipulated fact as much, if not more, than they did. (How can you call someone a list while lying??) His fight was only to raise ratings which benefited each other until the riots started and it was apparent a significant portion of the country hated both Trump and CNN [4].

    That’s pretty much when I checked out. Trump didn’t respond to any of that positively. Biden didn’t either. They both went to Minneapolis after the coals were cold. But, Trump was president and he was still tweeting divisive bullshit while not taking action to put out the fires he started.

    Biden is also a lying sack of shit as seen by the Thomas anecdote. Also, there was a tell-tale moment in the debates where Biden pulled the absolutist card shaming Bernie for saying something good about Mao. As much of a blow hard capitalist as I am, Bernie is right in recognizing the good Mao did. (I can’t find the clip, but Bernie said everything I wanted about black white politics) And if I disagree with Bernie’s economic politics, his honesty trumps that, because you can trust Bernie to be Bernie.

    Biden won, so the Democrats made the right choice. I just don’t fully understand it. He’s a piece of shit that was just lucky enough Obama chose him to be VP. And I still voted for him, because Trump never recognized his mistake of COVID and the riots and continued to be an antagonizer.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12 Nov 2020 at 10:20 AM.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    What if Trump is the reaction to that? Those who felt bullied by their job sent overseas and then told they should be grateful for the privilege they have by media and celebrities who made 4X to 20X what they do?
    Oh he absolutely is the reaction to that. But it isn't bullying. And I think you know that, too, but... The shitty thing is, it isn't an invalid complaint – especially for those "older" jobs like coal mining and manufacturing. The anger is not misplaced, just misdirected at Hollywood and whatnot.

    I'm sure, at some point within like the next five(?) years, as Prop 22 clones trickle into state law, we'll see gig economy people fall into a similar hole. Their gigs obviously can't be sent overseas but metrics-based management coupled with such a bs loophole is a recipe for disaster. I actually think they're already there and just don't know it yet. It's frustrating because it'll be so easy to misdirect that anger, too. Our legislators fall back on something like, "Well this is already the case and changing it would take too much effort," even though that effort is entirely worthwhile.

    We took away the safety net for the workers w/vanishing jobs and left them hanging instead of working up a real, livable training program to get them into something similar but modern. And we'll keep doing that so executives remain wealthy, which is what "too much effort" really means. But Hollywood or some other scapegoat will take the blame. And that's not even taking into account who the anti-Semites will pick as their new target after George Soros is gone.

    They both went to Minneapolis after the coals were cold.
    Yup, and as can be expected: Instead of thinking about holding Biden accountable for this the Dems are fighting in public about "defund the police" or whatever. Already. Results haven't even been certified yet.

    But, Trump was president and he was still tweeting divisive bullshit while not taking action to put out the fires he started.
    This is such a head scratcher – he definitely doesn't think he's done a single thing wrong. Paradoxically, he knows he's done wrong or the criticisms wouldn't elicit such sharp responses. When he goes on Twitter or wherever and complains about how unfairly [x] is treating him, he means it. But he's also projecting?

    Biden is also a lying sack of shit as seen by the Thomas anecdote.
    UGH when Anita Hill endorsed him.
    hey, check out https://kiwisbybeat.net – it's a lot of rezo's comics

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Are you for real? That isnt Bout income. It's about skin color and culture.

    Poor whites in rural america still often live with someone with a working vehical. That is not the case for poor minorities in cities. They might not have transportation. They might not have a gov approved ID. They might not have a mailing address. They might be zoned to have one voting location 30 or more minutes away, servicing 1000s of people.

    I on the other hand live in. Town of 300 to 400 people. My voting location was at the end of my street. I walked there and got mexican food on my walk home.
    You didn’t read what I said then, because what you just said, is repeating what I’d said about rural communities.

    They don’t want the welfare collectors, felons or any other people they see as unworthy voting. They just can’t control that in smaller rural areas, like they can in cities.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12 Nov 2020 at 11:19 AM.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    But, those less urban counties fall into that demographic, yet they aren't encountering those same issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Poor whites in rural america still often live with someone with a working vehical. That is not the case for poor minorities in cities. They might not have transportation. They might not have a gov approved ID. They might not have a mailing address. They might be zoned to have one voting location 30 or more minutes away, servicing 1000s of people.

    I on the other hand live in. Town of 300 to 400 people. My voting location was at the end of my street. I walked there and got mexican food on my walk home.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    They don’t want the welfare collectors, felons or any other people they see as unworthy voting. They just can’t control that in smaller rural areas, like they can in cities.
    I feel like you're both saying the same thing and the NY Times article spells it out too? (I'll watch the Netflix doc later, since my old, deaf ass can't focus on reading the captions and also post/work/etc, but I saw Stacey Abrams is in it so I'm going to guess it also says the same stuff.)

    Like, the less urban counties don't encounter the same level of voter suppression. Whereas the cities do, especially when there's a significant population of Black people. Is there even a need to mess with the rural areas? It seems pretty straightforward to me: If I was going to attempt to skew the vote, I'd zero in on the areas of high concentration. In our country, that seems to translate to Republicans fiddling with Democratic places.

    The point could still just be going over my head, though.
    hey, check out https://kiwisbybeat.net – it's a lot of rezo's comics

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    What if Trump is the reaction to that? Those who felt bullied by their job sent overseas and then told they should be grateful for the privilege they have by media and celebrities who made 4X to 20X what they do?

    Trump delivered on bringing manufacturing jobs back in record numbers. [1] [2] And, I am worried Biden will drop the tariffs and watch those jobs go back overseas. It’s telling how despite Biden’s benefit to China and Mexico’s economy, neither will endorse him yet [3]. That’s probably because of how Trump bullied them.

    But, employment doesn’t mean shit if the US is in a winless civil war between the cities and the country.

    And it didn’t dawn on me until COVID and the riots, just how far CNN’s Trump pissed off 20-40% of the country. Trump is right the media is full of shit with their click-bait headlines and focus on hot take opinions over reporting. (Watch or read an interview and tally how many statements an interviewer makes over questions. Who’s getting interviewed here?) But, Trump’s fighting with the media wasn’t constructive. He didn’t try to better them. He lied and manipulated fact as much, if not more, than they did. (How can you call someone a list while lying??) His fight was only to raise ratings which benefited each other until the riots started and it was apparent a significant portion of the country hated both Trump and CNN [4].

    That’s pretty much when I checked out. Trump didn’t respond to any of that positively. Biden didn’t either. They both went to Minneapolis after the coals were cold. But, Trump was president and he was still tweeting divisive bullshit while not taking action to put out the fires he started.

    Biden is also a lying sack of shit as seen by the Thomas anecdote. Also, there was a tell-tale moment in the debates where Biden pulled the absolutist card shaming Bernie for saying something good about Mao. As much of a blow hard capitalist as I am, Bernie is right in recognizing the good Mao did. (I can’t find the clip, but Bernie said everything I wanted about black white politics) And if I disagree with Bernie’s economic politics, his honesty trumps that, because you can trust Bernie to be Bernie.

    Biden won, so the Democrats made the right choice. I just don’t fully understand it. He’s a piece of shit that was just lucky enough Obama chose him to be VP. And I still voted for him, because Trump never recognized his mistake of COVID and the riots and continued to be an antagonizer.
    Biden was chosen not as the best candidate in general, but the best candidate to capture the swing vote of this particular election, which they believed were the Never Trump conservatives/independents. It seems to have worked although the backfire here is that it only got them the presidency, not the downballot.

  10. Which I’m happy with LOL. I mean don’t like Republicans, but there needs to be balance.

    Ideally, I’d like to see 4 parties hold power in congress Democrats (Wall St’s party), Democratic Socialists, Republicans (Trump’s populists and Christian theocrats), and Libertarians (Capitalist weed smokers). That would annihilate the power Nancy and Mitch hold.

    EDIT: or maybe that’s a bad idea, since with just 2 parties, Nancy and Mitch couldn’t agree on a stimulus package during a pandemic, before an election, when their jobs were on the line?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12 Nov 2020 at 01:17 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo