Page 42 of 90 FirstFirst ... 283840414243444656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biden Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    People have short memories. A few years ago, Democrats were calling on electoral college voters to forget about the way their state voted and vote for Clinton, were saying Russian interference helped Trump win, were calling for impeachment before Trump even took office, etc...

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...048494080?s=20

Was she impeached? Banned?

Trump is an asshole, but the double standards are absolutely astounding.
    This is a very bizarre interpretation of “double standards”. No one denied election results and stirred their supporters in storming the capital to threaten the proceedings of democracy.

I will say having read Trumps speech looking for calls to storm the Capitol I didn’t find anything. He ranted a lot about fraud and ballot drop boxes and unobserved voting stations etc. But these were his exact words:

“I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

The calls on politicians were for Pence to throw back the election. But no outright violence.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 17 Jan 2021 at 10:11 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    This is a very bizarre interpretation of “double standards”.
    There really isn't anything bizarre about it. It is just simply double standards.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. As pointed out the events in question aren’t comparable. One lead to a lack of concession and a breach of government. The other lead to a peaceful transition of power.

4. To me and a lot of others the how and whens don't matter really. It's just how people are acting is what's making me shake my head.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    As pointed out the events in question aren’t comparable. One lead to a lack of concession and a breach of government. The other lead to a peaceful transition of power.
    Like I said, he's an asshole for behaving the way that he is. That being said, I don't think there's anything indicative of him wanting violence, a coup, sedition, etc... Even in your quote (which I've heard before) specifically indicates that he wants the march to the capitol to be peaceful. Should he have given that speech and riled up the crowd with thoughts of cheating, stolen elections, fraud, etc...? No, he should've conceded a long, long time ago. This jump to impeachment is another waste of time roasting a guy that the people can't stand. It isn't merited and weakens our democracy.

Of course they're comparable - Clinton (and numerous others) questioned the legitimacy of Trump since before he was inaugurated until him being replaced tomorrow. His Presidency has been marred by four years of the "resistance" undermining it. It did nothing to help the country, the "peaceful transition of power", the civil unrest over the last four years, and weakened the Presidency. You can argue whatever you want about Trump being a shitty President on many levels but you have to acknowledge that nearly everything was stacked against him from the very beginning. They were discussing impeachment before the guy was even sworn in, trying to convince Electors to go against their state mandated obligations to vote for the person the state did, "Russia", etc... The whole thing stunk of the same sore-loserism that Trump is displaying to an even higher degree now. I'll be glad when all of this drama is over.

6. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Like I said, he's an asshole for behaving the way that he is. That being said, I don't think there's anything indicative of him wanting violence, a coup, sedition, etc...
    I think this ignores the elephant in the room, which is that telling people the election was literally stolen is a lie so large and so terrible that it justifies extremism regardless of whether or not he specifically calls for it.

Trump could quell all the violence with one sentence: "I lost the election." That's it. And he won't do it.

When you shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater, as the example goes, you aren't say "He, everybody should shove and trample each other," but you're telling a lie that you know might create that outcome. This is no different. He's giving people a reason to feel like this is a life and death struggle, and he's a fucking liar.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 18 Jan 2021 at 01:05 PM.

7. Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think this ignores the elephant in the room, which is that telling people the election was literally stolen is a lie so large and so terrible that it justifies extremism regardless of whether or not he specifically calls for it.

Trump could quell all the violence with one sentence: "I lost the election." That's it. And he won't do it.

When you shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater, as the example goes, you aren't say "He, everybody should shove and trample each other," but you're telling a lie that you know might create that outcome. This is no different. He's giving people a reason to feel like this is a life and death struggle, and he's a fucking liar.
    Hillary, in 2019, was still saying the election was rigged and she didn't really lose. Sure, she "conceded", but it's a little different because she wasn't in office. Should Trump have stepped aside long ago? For sure. Does he have the right to question the shenanigans in PA and elsewhere? Sure he can. Hillary is still doing it. There are consequences that the over-the-top rhetoric has, on both sides to be certain, over the long term. The Democrats were, without any evidence, calling Trump a "Putin puppet", a "traitor", a Russian agent, an anti-semite (which is almost comical), that "make America great again" was racist, etc... All of this crazy nonsense has lingering consequences. Nearly 70 members of Congress skipped his inauguration. They tore up his speech at the state of the union. They never accepted the 2016 election results to begin with and undermined the people's trust that elections were fair and now they're crying about the other side doing the same exact thing.

"FIRE" was yelled a few years ago. It's time someone put it out. Two days from now, it's a start. I hope.

9. I think just about every single U.S. intelligence agency, the House and Senate Intelligence Committees (both under Republican rule) reports on the election all showing the Russians tampering with the election to help Trump, coupled with his long distance fellating of Putin for 4 years, gives a much stronger impression of the 2016 election being tampered with than Trump simply saying "it was rigged" this time.

Doesn't sound so peaceful. And of course, bullshit artist that he his, he went home after the speech, rather than actually go with them. They're fucking idiots for believing him.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I think just about every single U.S. intelligence agency, the House and Senate Intelligence Committees (both under Republican rule) reports on the election all showing the Russians tampering with the election to help Trump, coupled with his long distance fellating of Putin for 4 years, gives a much stronger impression of the 2016 election being tampered with than Trump simply saying "it was rigged" this time.

Doesn't sound so peaceful. And of course, bullshit artist that he his, he went home after the speech, rather than actually go with them. They're fucking idiots for believing him.
    Both of his wives were from the former Soviet Block country of the Czech Republic. He has some kind of obsession with woman of that area. He even talked about it with Howard Stern. His visits with Putin, before the election, do raise a red flag (pun intended) about the whole Russian hacking of the election. Then there are the rumors of him watching Russian prostitutes peeing on a hotel bed. He's an out there dude, without a clue about what's going on around him.

He's even gone so far as to have arguments with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, over the popularity of The Apprentice vs. Shark Tank. He's a total man child that throws fits when he isn't winning.
    Last edited by gamevet; 18 Jan 2021 at 11:06 PM.