Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biden Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    This timeline is so much fail it is almost a win.
    I'm just gonna not comment on his choice. I was almost expecting him to pick Hillary.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. Lol it’s a bit of a stretch to call a lawyer a ‘cop’. I think it’s a pretty solid, smart choice: minority woman who also understands crime and is working on a campaign platform to reform criminal justice.

I actually wanted her to win the nomination way back before she dropped.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Aug 2020 at 08:46 AM.

3. It's probably not a stretch to call her a piece of shit, though.

4. She sounds pretty badass to me having passed and supported bills in California to reform aid for the poor. At this point I feel those really far left are just allergic to winning.

Politics in the US only has 2 black women who were elected to statewide posts [1] and Biden picked one to run with. That’s a win no matter how the rabble might spin.

[1] https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/05/the-sad-state-of-black-women-in-statewide-political-office/
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Aug 2020 at 08:58 AM.

5. She's tough on crime, unless it's white collar crime.

6. I'm fairly certain the GOP is going to paint her as weak on crime due to her history of not pursuing the death penalty.

Also, she's not really that weak on white collar crime:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/26/kama...ll-street.html

Trump and Pence literally skirting the law for their cronies is probably not a more progressive alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Of course, but given the current political climate, it would probably have made sense to choose a running mate who wasn't part of the prison industrial complex.

8. I think it's daft to assume some layman is going to make meaningful systemic reform without having a deep understanding of the inner workings of the system itself. That can't be anything but beneficial in helping reform. The article I posted mentions a few of her "misses" such as not pursuing and prosecuting Steven Mnuchin after white collar misconduct. Bu she actually has a lot of experience closing big cases and deals. From what I've been reading (I only recently started) it sounds like the Mnuchin prosecution wouldn't have resulted in much.

But lets look to the fact that she has pursued reform on white collar crime:
    "Harris later backed the California Homeowners Bill of Rights, a package of legislation to protect homeowners during the foreclosure process. The legislation also extended the statute of limitations to prosecute mortgage fraud from 1 to 3 years.

In 2017, her first year as a U.S. senator, she introduced a bill alongside fellow Democrats Elizabeth Warren and Dianne Feinstein targeting executives at big banks. The bill, entitled the “Accountability for Wall Street Executives Act,” would allow state law enforcement to issue subpoenas when investigating bank fraud."

So I don't think your assertion about her record is at all right. If you're waiting for a better golden lawyer goose to come along to reform the system I think you'd better pack for the long haul there. If your major approach to systems design is to burn things to ash and start over I have some bad news for you on how that generally turns out.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Aug 2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Lol it’s a bit of a stretch to call a lawyer a ‘cop’. I think it’s a pretty solid, smart choice: minority woman who also understands crime and is working on a campaign platform to reform criminal justice.

I actually wanted her to win the nomination way back before she dropped.
    A lot of Democrats are really upset about Joe's choice. To me it just felt like some sort of identity politics. A woman of color to swing votes from other races. I think there were more qualified people who would have made a better option for Joe.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

10. If she was the kind of predatory prosecutor that she's been accused of being, then she's absolutely the wrong person for the job.