Page 67 of 90 FirstFirst ... 536365666768697181 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biden Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    1.) It's a trillion+ dollar bill with 550 billion in new spending and the rest previously approved
    2.) Again, you're laying out this entire argument for a bill that I haven't taken a position on, merely that it's a lot of money and had bi-partisan support. Is that in dispute?

Stop this shit, dude. Please.
    Don't take everything I say in a reply to you personally, I am just sick and tired of people doing nothing.

There are a lot of reasons to be advocating for a package that is actually going to help people rather than passing something to say you did. Often the latter is all that ever happens, but this is a much more urgent moment in history and that's just not enough. That's why they're still fighting.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 Oct 2021 at 09:50 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Don't take everything I say in a reply to you personally, I am just sick and tired of people doing nothing.
    It'd be one thing if you're responding and then just started spouting off reasons you're of the opinion that you hold, but when you start adding "dude" to your sentences then you're specifically responding to ME. I mean, I get it, but I'm also tired of the inference(s) that I'm of a certain opinion when I haven't given one.

The Democrats should've passed it and then moved on to the next phase which isn't getting any Republican support anyway. Would've been a bi-partisan bill, would've been a win for Biden (who can surely use one) and would've benefitted a whole bunch of people (me included since I've got a 4 year old and 10 month old). Instead, we're at the same old same old impasse - this government runs like molasses.

3. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    It'd be one thing if you're responding and then just started spouting off reasons you're of the opinion that you hold, but when you start adding "dude" to your sentences then you're specifically responding to ME. I mean, I get it, but I'm also tired of the inference(s) that I'm of a certain opinion when I haven't given one.

The Democrats should've passed it and then moved on to the next phase which isn't getting any Republican support anyway. Would've been a bi-partisan bill, would've been a win for Biden (who can surely use one) and would've benefitted a whole bunch of people (me included since I've got a 4 year old and 10 month old). Instead, we're at the same old same old impasse - this government runs like molasses.
    Packaging stuff together is a strategic position. If you give up your leverage by just passing whatever the opposition wants you end up with nothing else.

I get why you might think to just do these things separately but it can be really difficult to accomplish anything this way.

Even as is a lot of the healthcare, elder care, and education stuff has already been gutted.

4. In other news. Dave says he's willing to meet up to discuss what his special was about but he straight up said he refuses to bend the knee.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. Props to Netflix for doing it right for Dave. He has another video where he talks about not being paid by Viacom for his Dave Chappelle show. When he approached Netflix about them airing shows that he had not been paid for, they obliged to his request and removed the content.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    If we tax the richest 400 people in the country alone like 10% we have more than enough to cover it.
    The problem with this is that those 10% hire professionals at whatever that cost is to ensure that they don't pay taxes at all. Write off this, buy that, etc... That's money that we'll never see. I mean, it sounds simple enough but it's not going to happen.

The only solution to this is sliding flat tax based on income. Rich people are still going to buy yachts and cars and 2nd homes, etc... There's no way to hide from that if it's paid at closing or when the item(s) are purchased.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Packaging stuff together is a strategic position. If you give up your leverage by just passing whatever the opposition wants you end up with nothing else.

I get why you might think to just do these things separately but it can be really difficult to accomplish anything this way.

Even as is a lot of the healthcare, elder care, and education stuff has already been gutted.
    This is why nothing gets done, though. The only way to make progress is compromise and our government, with each side bearing similar blame, has been largely unable to do this for decades.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post

In other news. Dave says he's willing to meet up to discuss what his special was about but he straight up said he refuses to bend the knee.
    I'm curious why you think this is the right thread for this.

Culture wars are not politics. Anyone who wants your vote in exchange for a wank on whatever culture war opinion you have is just a grifter.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

9. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    The problem with this is that those 10% hire professionals at whatever that cost is to ensure that they don't pay taxes at all. Write off this, buy that, etc... That's money that we'll never see. I mean, it sounds simple enough but it's not going to happen.

This isn't because these people have figured out how to beat the system, it's because the system is designed to serve them. You make it sound like they're slippery and not that we have just decided as a society let oligarchy reign.

The shit's on purpose. They don't pay because we let them not pay. That could change the second we decide to change it.

The only solution to this is sliding flat tax based on income. Rich people are still going to buy yachts and cars and 2nd homes, etc... There's no way to hide from that if it's paid at closing or when the item(s) are purchased.
    No they're not, that's literally the point. Where middle and lower class people spend nearly all of their income, putting it back into the economy, the richest people accumulate wealth, which takes money out of the economy. That's the whole problem

Literally no one advocates for a flat tax as a better means of getting money out of the rich. It's actually designed to do the exact opposite of that, to force the middle class to shoulder a disproportionate tax burden, the exact opposite.of.what you seem to be claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    This is why nothing gets done, though. The only way to make progress is compromise and our government, with each side bearing similar blame, has been largely unable to do this for decades.
    What they're doing IS the compromise. Compromising is where you meet in the middle and pass something narrowly, not where you just give the opposition everything they want.

Progressives are only going to get a fraction of what they want. But even that fractional victory is only won through hard fought battles like this.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 26 Oct 2021 at 02:16 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I'm curious why you think this is the right thread for this.
    Because it's all about power and control which is in itself politics. I'm sorry that you don't agree with it but this is the world we live in.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL