Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series

1. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Intel i7.. whatever the new 10 series is called... Silverlake?

I've only bought Intel and Nvidia since 2002.
    Intel i7 !0700K! Nice!

I'm running the i9 9900K, which also has 8 cores and 16 threads. That's a rock solid build, which should perform quite well for at least 5 years.

2. I have a 1080 and I don't really feel the need to upgrade at all. Maybe if I invested in a high refresh rate monitor, or if there's some insanely good VR game that demands it. (But Half Life Alyx ran in staggering beauty on this card.) I have a 970 in another computer and for most of the games I play, that thing is still a beast! I guess the benefits of these cards in any of the games out today just aren't where my priorities are. Waiting for a killer app to take advantage of ray tracing or something before jumping onboard. Oh, and I use a stupid huge 49" 4k TV - but for most games I can barely tell the difference between 4k and 1440 even with my face 2-3 feet away from this massive thing. (Desktop usage is a different story of course!)

3. Most games are going to target cross-gen on console for at least another year, so what you have is more than adequate.

4. There's no way the next gen consoles are running 8k games.

5. Maybe original XBOX games.
    Get ready for 8k 120fps Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

6. Or Indie games like Super Meat Boy.
    Last edited by gamevet; 24 Sep 2020 at 09:01 AM.

7. 3090s and any new 3080s went just as fast today on release.

I have seen a few 3080s available on Amazon this last week at double the retail price.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. It's going to take a few months for this to calm down. 3090s are a waste of money for games.

9. I wonder how long it will be before they release the workstation versions. I've been thinking about building a Solidworks rig, and I don't want to drop big bucks on a card that's a generation behind.

10. The 3090 is for workstations.