Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL

1. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The core audience of this site was based around gamers. The problem is that a lot of the most vocal members on this board, haven't been gamers in quite some time. Those that still enjoy the hobby eventually got pushed out, because they didn't feel like the majority of discussions on this board were about that hobby anymore.
    Yeah, I like talking about game mechanics, achievements, strategy, combos, etc. That kind of thing got pushed out of here like a decade ago, maybe longer.

And most of the people that posted by the time I left were just assholes, and they were the only ones posting anything. I don't understand why you would act so shitty to your... Friends isn't the word but, community maybe?

2. It's sad, because I joined a forums called Retro Gaming Roundtable, when Sega-16 got hacked and was down for over a month. One of the guys named BJ (DJ?) had a signature showing an achievement for making a grown man cry to mods. The guy would be an ass to people and I called him out on it, when he kept fucking with a guy named Tanooki. I found it to be pretty hilarious when the guy was talking about all of the cool people leaving. He had no clue that maybe it had to do with guys like him being an ass to people over petty subjects.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Video games.

Used to be a new game came out and 20 people gushed over it, talked story, ect. Now it takes something like TloU2 or Death Stranding, which are controversial, to spark discussion.
    Yeah this is still one of the things I enjoy. I'm still playing Dragon Quest XI on Switch even tho the demos are out now on the Xbox One and PS4.

@Gamevet: To be fair if it's the same Tanooki, that guy was kinda a dillweed also.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 08 Nov 2020 at 06:42 PM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. Tanooki seemed to exaggerate the truth, but he was harmless. BoJay, on the other hand, was an ass to a lot of people.

5. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Well, I hate to say it, but it might be time to shut this place down. The posts are sparser and sparser and just about everyone has moved on. It was a good run, that's for sure. I'm grateful for the time and conversations that we've had over the years and, maybe, a little disappointed that conversational discourse about politics has led to a bunch of people leaving and unfriending here and elsewhere.

I'd like to thank whoever is left, especially Nick, for carrying the torch for so many years.
    Back from the dead to say I would host the shit out of this site. Non-contingent on anything for me. I may be an inflammatory piece of crap but I'd want to keep the existing administrative structure. All the problems mentioned in here from everyone are fixable but we'd need to draw in new members again. Sounds like a heavy lift but it's possible. Of course, we would need to update any policies for the web of today.

If we're really looking to revive this shit, though, we'd want to have a road map for getting things upgraded.

• Migrate from vBulletin – either by importing all the stuff into a free alternative or by flattening all the current threads into an HTML archive and building a more modern forum (I, of course, prefer the latter)
    • Shrink & reorg the forums so they aren't as granular, perhaps to overall categories like "Main Discussion" and "Anime" etc.
    • Remake a TNL online magazine of some sort?
    • Have some kind of linked social media presence?

But I don't think we've seen Nick in a while? And I don't know if cka would want to pass shit, either.

6. I’ll write two weekly movie reviews until you get Animegirl back.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    Yeah, I like talking about game mechanics, achievements, strategy, combos, etc. That kind of thing got pushed out of here like a decade ago, maybe longer.

And most of the people that posted by the time I left were just assholes, and they were the only ones posting anything. I don't understand why you would act so shitty to your... Friends isn't the word but, community maybe?
    Just saw this post and I 100% agree with it.

I myself am guilty of some of the toxic shit that's gone on and I'm not proud of it.

I miss the gaming conversations we all used to have. A lot.

I loved being able to talk about games and what people enjoyed about them but even now it's gone all political with some people making some of the most vicious, hateful, spite filled comments I've seen here. I'll be the 1st to admit I'm not perfect but near the end some people felt like their shit didn't ever stink.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

8. Yeah I don't know enough about anything to write useful shit but I know some of you are quite knowledgeable. I bet what Korly mentioned could be a great revolving feature. I've also picked up several friends who love video games (including one with a Hugo for a fanzine) and I bet I could wrangle some new peeps.

The forum died for a couple of different reasons.

1. It no longer has a main site that publishes content.
    2. There are a ton of different options for talking about games now.
    3. 85% of the board switched to smart phones as their primary device, encouraging smaller shorter posts that stimulate less conversation. Go look at some old old posts. People wrote essays. Now things are 3 5 word sentences.
    4. People stopped playing games and the community switched to dunking on people. I'm amazed we kept Mollie and Finch after the 5 year period of hating everything from japan.
    5. People are getting set in their ways and no longer want to argue. People would rather instant message a bro about something and get sucked off than get real criticism from some guy 5 states over.
    6. People are married, have kids, have demanding jobs. Only so much time to go on a forum and write anything meaningful.

Also, no one wants to deal with any of you that continue to want to give trump the benefit of the doubt. I love guns just as much as the next guy, but trump got on tv and made fun of the handicapped and talks like an idiot. You defend someone that shouldn't be defended.

We're not kids anymore and many dont have the patients to read such things anymore.

Seriously he got on tv and made the retard hand motion Nd retard face to make fun of a handicapped person. You know who I last saw do that? Bullies in the 4th grade.

Why would I want to talk politics with people that defend a leader like that? Someone with an open childish disdain for the disadvantaged?