Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'd decided to refurbish my Xbox 360 Elite. (And whatever consoles are you repairing?)

1. Well done gamevet.

This thread being bumped reminds me that despite getting a kit with all the fancy bits you need to open systems, I've still not done it because it is in fact terrifying. I don't want to break my backwards compatible PS3, I need an adult.

2. I’ll eventually get around to tackling the TIM for my backup PS3 60GB rig. I just have a lot of other projects going on.

I think I got a sore throat from breathing in that resin. Ugh!
    Last edited by gamevet; 05 Sep 2022 at 01:54 PM.

3. I enjoy reading this thread so much.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. The OG Xbox

Since I have a 3 day weekend, I decided to tackle removing the infamous faulty cap in my OG Xbox.

This Power supply would work fine, up until about 3 years ago, when it would trip as soon as I powered up the Xbox. I ended up using the standard cord, until I could get in there to fix the problem.

I had to get my torx bits to open this behemoth of a console. It has 6 exterior screws and 2 others holding in the HDD and DVD units.

The cap was located on top of the that circle. to the right of those 3 tall caps. I just twisted it with a pair of pliers, until it broke off. I didn't have a 5 volt/ 1 Micro-farad Cap laying around, to I'm just going to leave it out.

There was a bit of the leaked material from the cap, covering the surrounding area. I took a q-tip with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and cleaned it up.

I put it all back together and BAM! It fired right up and the power supply stopped tripping. It's been plugged in all night and it's still on.

I guess I need to clean up those line conditions and the bottom of the television stand. It's looking a little dusty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Nice work! I'd love to get an OG Xbox again just to play JSRF properly (not on 360). I'd like to mess with the different CVS2 as well. From what I remember, they took out the roll cancel and did some other balance changes.

6. Thanks!

Try to find a 2004 model. They don’t have the bad cap.

7. Nicely done!

8. So, I finally got around to getting a tool kit that has the bits to open up Nintendo carts and systems. I got this ifixit kit for $20 from MicroCenter.

I opened up a friend's SNES cart to de-solder the battery. It wasn't until I started messing with it, that I'd found out that you can get a battery called 2032 T. It has the two posts attached to the battery, and all you have to do is de-solder the posts from the old battery, then insert the new battery in its place. Pretty handy.

9. Since I have a 4 day weekend, I'd decided to drag out the old wooden console for a bit of retro gaming. Everything was okay with Ms. Pac-man, but any game that required you to shoot, did not respond to the button press. I really didn't want to do any kind of extensive troubleshooting, so I ended up taking the TIA board from my old busted up 2600 and put it into my nice looking VCS.

Here's the two consoles, taken apart. You can see the TIA board (smaller board) on the bottom right. It just required removing a wire harness from the board and removing a few screws. It was an easy fix.

I'd seen a Vader 2600 (at a store down the street) earlier in the week. I passed on it, but after having my only working VCS go out of commission, I'd decided to pick it up today.

I can't believe that they didn't even try to clean up the console. I gave it a good 30 minutes of thorough cleaning and now it looks great.

Here is the Vader next to my old reliable. The Vader VCS is going to be a backup, for now. It need to have the RF cable replaced. I'd move it around at the coax connection and the picture would get fuzzy and drop off. It's an easy fix though.

10. Nice, 2600 was what got me into gaming. Now go play some Robot Tank!