Thread: Ghibli box set

1. Ghibli box set

I was wondering about the Ghibli box set that is out. Is it a pirated box, or what? I noticed Nausicaa is one of the films, and I'm dying to see it, how does Nausicaa look?
    pwned by Ivan

2. Probably pirate, copied from laserdiscs. If I recall correctly, not all of the Ghibli movies are on DVD yet -- *especially* Nausicaa.

Steer clear. Wait for the US releases to start around Q3 this year.

3. Thanks. I really do hope we get some Ghibli over here, from what I've read many of the subs on the R2 dvds are dubtitles. I reallly want to see Nausicaa.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Head over to www.nausicaa.net for up-to-date info.

Basically, Pixar-god John Lasseter has a lot of swing at Disney right now. He also likes Ghibli movies. He seems to have gotten tired of Disney's crappy approach to releasing them -- so he took over the project. We're seeing Spirited Away in theaters near the end of the summer, and DVD releases (beginning with Kiki's and then Laputa/Castle in the Sky) will begin Q3.

EDIT!: Looks like Spirited Away will be released this September.

EDIT ZWEI!: You won't find R1 release info about Ghibli DVDs on nausicaa.net. They are once again being anal about confirming info before they post it. I've run into this before -- they wait for confirmation of the confirmation of the confirmation before accepting something as fact. Why am I ranting about this? Well, it's been a known fact for a while that the Ghibli DVDs are going to start coming out here by the end of the year. This is the only mention of it I feel like seeking out: http://www.anime-tourist.com/article.php?sid=120 . Notice the mention of other titles being prepared. Now that's a slight mention, but that's direct from Disney's PR department. So, I guess that can't be confirmed.... lol..

5. I'm glad Lasseter is heading this up, I've heard nothing but good things about him and I like Pixar's movies. Basically I'm thinking about getting a regionless dvd player and was wanting to get some anime straight from Japan. I was actually doing a search for Nausicaa net for Ghibli info when I came across the box, I'd heard about if before and wanted a confermation about some things. Thanks for the heads up on Spirited, Kiki, and Laputa.
    pwned by Ivan

6. Nausicaa is an excellent film. Much better than Mononoke Hime.