Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dagon

1. http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=12631
    That is a review Harry Knowles at AICN did for the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it, and I didn't know it was out next week! I've never read any Lovecraft, but I want to read Call of Cthulu and At the Mountains of Madness. AICN has reported that Guillermo Del Torro (Blade 2) wants to make a movie of At the Mountains, he wants it to be his LOTR.
    pwned by Ivan

2. Hmm, I may have to check this out. I am usually really wary of low budget horror, but the Lovecraft nut in me will push me over the edge on this one. I hope it stays true to the stories, because I tend to be overly critical of movies based on stories I have read.

It's gonna be pretty hard to be any creepier than the stories, or even to match them. I love H.P & the first collection of his work I got is one of my most re-read books ever. Poor thing is really floopy & worn.

JM

3. bbobb - thanks, again, for the peachy impressions. Will definitely score it this week!

Green: If Del Toro does end up making At the Mountains of Madness, I shall explode with joy. His recent The Devil's Backbone was fantastic. Oh, and READ HPL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

4. I'm pretty much sold on it already, but I gotta ask anyway... just how bad is the camp factor? I've read great things about the overall tension level, but I'm a bit worried it's going to be ruined (for me at least) by some horribly fake-looking makeup or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

5. Dont worry LP, its not campy at all. Or at least thats how I felt about it.

Very creepy atmosphere and environments, great tension, you get the feel of doom and despair. First half is very spooky, with the character discovering the creepy village and its inhibitants. Slow, covered in dark rain coats and hoods, making weird noises, mutated villagers, that chase the hero across the village, is like the homage to great zombie films Cool FX and some nice gory moments. And as it was said before, the typical Hollywood happy ending is nowhere to be found

My own impressions coming up later today, but for now, trust the people who posted here, and give it at least a rent.

6. Yeppers not really campy at all, just a true horror movie.... highly highly recommended by me. I don't know about At the Mountains of Madness though. I recently read that story and I don't think it is one of Lovecrafts best, although I could see how it could pretty easily be adapted into a movie.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Watched last night, and am very very pleased. It sticks closer to HPL's content as compared with Re-Animator and From Beyond. The best HPL adaptation I've seen, in fact.

Although I think they should have left out the glimpse of Dagon...it would have been more effective to leave it up to the viewer's imagination, I think. For a God, Dagon looked....well, kinda lame. Perhaps a tentacle or something grabbing the girl, but not a full-on shot. One strength of HPL's writing is how he doesn't spell out every detail, leaving your own mind to fill in the blanks. He's such a master at implied terror, and I thought that shot was not only unnecessary, but actually hurt the film (though not in an unforgiveable way). The townspeople gave you enough visuals to create quite an image in your own head.

It was cool to freeze that shot though.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010