Thread: Impressions: GunGrave

Impressions: GunGrave

Jet Set Radio meets Devil May Cry? Yoshi gives us the scoop

Unlike a certain Italian plumber's island vacation, GunGrave did not receive tons and tons of fanfare prior top its release in Japan on July 18, 2002. Developed by Sega's newly acquired subsidiary, Red Entertainment, GunGrave was a clean slate for me. I had very few expectations and even fewer spoilers.

The thing one will notice when booting up GG is the high quality anime-style cinemas that introduce the game. They are well drawn, well animated, and really due justice to gameplay experience that is about to be had.

After the opening sequence, the player finds himself at the beginning of level 1: "Slaughter House". If that level title doesn't clue you in to what this game is all about, the message to begin will. Unlike Mario Sunshine's colorful "Go!", GunGrave gives you a more specific agenda, "Kick their asses!". How is that for to the point?

Adhering to the goal of kicking ass, I was equipped with several attacks. I can lock onto an enemy by using L1. Shooting, either while locked or not, is handled with Square. Running is mapped to Circle. Jumping/Diving is handled with X. Triangle is a personal favroite, the rocket launcher. Finally, R1 allows the player to swing the coffin that he wears on his back in a arching motion to clear out all enemies who get too close.

Using that arsenal, and new moves that be unlocked by performances in certain categories in the levels, the name of GG is mass destruction. Bonuses are given for leaving nothing alive in your wake, for example.

It is still too early to speak to longevity, but the first three levels of GG have me excited for what is come. I can already say that this is a must play game. I'll know soon enough whether it is a must buy or must rent.

2. I haven't been following close enough..
    so, is GunGrave a gun-shooter like Time Crises, or are you more fully controlling a character through an environment like Sin+Punishmnet or Devil May Cry. not that I'm looking for comparisons

Out of those three choices, it is closest to Devil May Cry.