Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying anime from japan

1. Buying anime from japan

Today I ordered a regionless dvd player from Hivizone. I got the Skyworth 1050P, the one the guy at Animeondvd uses. I'm thinking about getting Memories and Wings of Honneamise from japan. The only place I know to get these is CDJapan. Anyone here import anime? Know any other good sites where I can get anime from japan? I've put the Ghibli stuff aside since (hopefully) it will get released here, but I also have my eye on Robot Carnival. Any other anime I should get?
    pwned by Ivan

2. isn't that insanely expensive? just curious about the cost

3. Yeah, it looks like dvds range from 40-60 bucks, but I'm just looking for a few movies.
    pwned by Ivan

4. The only imports I have are Laserdiscs of Macross 7 (never for sale I might add). Also Japanese DVDs costs two times what they do here. Its good to get Manga from Japan, but not Anime.

5. CDJapan has very good service, but not the greatest prices. Try AMOTokyo and Jungle

Jungle carries used discs, which can save you a lot of money. I've bought from them in the past and everything was in perfect condition.

6. Good Lord! That AMOTokyo site should NOT be viewed by epileptics...
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Originally posted by nabeshin
    CDJapan has very good service, but not the greatest prices. Try AMOTokyo and Jungle

Jungle carries used discs, which can save you a lot of money. I've bought from them in the past and everything was in perfect condition.
    I've never seen amotokyo, I'll check that out.

8. I've ordered from CD Japan several times and I totally vouch for their reliability and service. Importing R2s is expensive, but worthwhile in most cases. On many occasions the R2 is a far better release with many extras, etc. Also, you can keep up with the newest anime in Japan and all the stuff that will likely never make it here.

Expect to pay quite a bit for Memories, Robot Carnival and Wings of Honneamise, quite a bit more than a typical R2 actually. You can't go wrong with Ghibli stuff. Some films will be coming here, but others, like Miyazaki's older stuff, probably will not. You're best to R2 those.

Oh, first post. I'm new here. I've been following the threads here for quite a while and I couldn't decide whether or not to join. There's a lot of bias and pigheadedness here, but also many interesting threads and info, so I decided to join and ignore the bad aspects.

9. Amazon Japan is also really good for importing DVDs although you do need some basic Japanese knowledge to navigate the site
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

10. Thanks to all for your help, and welcome to the boards Zenigata. Ay, Zenigata, heh. Just ignore the idiots, I've been doing it forever, and I'm still here.
    pwned by Ivan