Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Penny Arcade Thread

1. Penny Arcade bit on Souky.

Just read Penny Arcade's Friday news bytes from Gabe and he talks about Ikaruga's upcoming release and then goes on to heavily praise Soukyugurentai encouraging readers to pick it up. Just go to www.penny-arcade.com and scroll down to the section titled "Important news about imports." There's one part where he says Souky has "...re-playability, something that most shooters are sorely lacking" which I disagree with for obvious reasons (which I told him in an e-mail I sent him where I also directed him to Shmups and let him know about my upcoming review within the next week or so) but it's a very cool blurb nonetheless. I seem to remember they did a strip on Batrider once.

2. Hehe, yeah those guys don't have a lot of experience with the shmup genre... something we're trying to help them out on. We thought Souky would be a good place for them to start out and they do seem to be really enjoying it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. People on TNL boards are the ones who got 'em into Souky, huh? Interesting.

Anyways, in the e-mail I sent Gabe, I told him if he likes Souky then he needs to get a copy of Battle Garegga too.

4. Actually it was us guys over at VGD... note the incredibly blatant plugs on their page.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. The problem with shooters it that they're the total opposite of the kind of games the PA guys seem to normally like, Rez being an exception to the rule. Shooters tend to be short (a little too short in my opinion, but I got over it) and once you've beaten it via the 5-billion credit method you've seen all there is to see, for the most part. Barring the odd game with branching paths or scalable difficulty, of course.

What makes shooters replayable isn't the epic scope of the world and it's incredible depth of things to do and see, it's that if you don't do better and do better fast, you die. The replayability comes from challenging yourself not to suck quite so badly the next time you play. Sure, most shooters have a variety of ships with different gaming strategies for each, but to the average player that's generally not enough.

On a side note- I've got Souky and I just don't like it. I've tried and tried and just can't get a feel for it. I've come to the conclusion that lock-on shooters just aren't for me, I'm more of a Cave/Radiant Silvergun/Truxton kind of shooter fan, anxiously awaiting his Ikaruga on Dreamcast, and maybe Gamecube.

bbobb, once you've indoctrinated them to the joys of the shooter, dump to RS on them, assuming they haven't played it already. At the very least, watching them dissect a legendary game in the Land of the Rising Fun feature should offer some good reading. (Yes, I am with the RS = Best Shooter 3v4R!! crowd, based on way too much playtime.)

James

6. Just give them DDP, and watch the tears flow...
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Originally posted by phoenix angel wing
    Just give them DDP, and watch the tears flow...
    Am I the only person who likes Donpachi more then DoDon? I don't know what it is but for some reason I just get more enjoyment out of Don.

8. Yes. Yes, you are.

BTW - How's Ape Escape 2 treating you?
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Originally posted by James
    The problem with shooters it that they're the total opposite of the kind of games the PA guys seem to normally like, Rez being an exception to the rule. Shooters tend to be short (a little too short in my opinion, but I got over it) and once you've beaten it via the 5-billion credit method you've seen all there is to see, for the most part. Barring the odd game with branching paths or scalable difficulty, of course.

bbobb, once you've indoctrinated them to the joys of the shooter, dump to RS on them, assuming they haven't played it already. At the very least, watching them dissect a legendary game in the Land of the Rising Fun feature should offer some good reading. (Yes, I am with the RS = Best Shooter 3v4R!! crowd, based on way too much playtime.)

James
    Yeah it is different then their normal style... but hopefully we can do something to fix that. Yeah we need to make them try out RS one of these days... although I must say I dearly dearly love the game, but I'm still not sure if I'd call it the best shooter ever... it's pure greatness though.

Originally posted by phoenix angel wing
    Yes. Yes, you are.

BTW - How\'s Ape Escape 2 treating you?
    Haven\'t gotten at it quite yet... have to wait untill we close tonight. Then I\'ll be getting my monkey groove on.

10. Originally posted by phoenix angel wing
    Yes. Yes, you are.
    I second that.

After hearing so much about DoDon, I decided to start with Don (figured I'd start at the very beginning... a very good place to start...) and found it surprisingly mediocre. My thoughts were pretty much just, "It's decent, but whatever." Rather underwhelmed by that, I was in no hurry to try out DoDon, but when I did I was blown away by how much better it played and how much more fun it was. It just felt so much tighter and better setup to me.