Thread: Red Dragon film: WHY?

1. Red Dragon film: WHY?

This was Thomas Harris' first novel with Hannibal Lecter, already made into a fine film in the 80s, Manhunter, starring William L. Petersen. Tom Noonan was brilliant as the killer....the opening sequence is far eerier than anything in the Silence or Hannibal films.

Why the heck is it being remade? Just so we can have another go-round with Hopkins as Lecter? I don't like how the Hannibal story glorifies the Lecter character, and I hope the writers don't change the content of the Red Dragon book, in which Lecter was a relatively minor character. I smell cash run....

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

Never read the book but Red Dragon looks intriguing cuz of the way the killer alters his look, plus Ed Norton is a good preformer.

Did you guys like Hannibal? I think a sequel is in the works.

3. Honestly never cared about any of Lector films. While Silence was an ok thriller, Hannibal really bored me, so I had to fast forward through, just to watch action and gore scenes.

I did like Manhunter though, and I also wonder if the reason for the remake is just to make more money on Hopkins as Lector. I dont think I will be seeing it in theaters, but I might rent it, or borrow from the friend when it hits dvd.