Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant squid found in Tazmania!

1. Giant squid found in Tazmania!

Ever since I was a kid one of my favorite things was stories of stuff like the Loch Ness Monster and...giant squid. Well, they just found another one, the best specimen yet wighing at 550 pounds and they think it's a brand new species. They estimate its two tentacles would have made it 50 feet long! Pretty cool. But nowhere near as big as the giant squid a fisherman in the 1940s saw alongside his large boat (as recounted on a Discovery channel special on giant squid last year). The fisherman said all he saw at first was this huge black inhuman eye looking at him up out of the water and that the squid was as big and long as the side of the whole boat! I love scary, real life stuff like that. Here's the link to the story and a second story about another giant squid they recently videotaped alive underwater:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/783908.asp?pne=msn

http://www.msnbc.com/news/674647.asp

2. hahaha thats so cool.

3. Totally sweet!

*points to avatar*

4. "How big can a squid get? Estimates based on damaged carcasses range up to one hundred feet. One story, though, suggests they might get even larger. One night during World War II a British Admiralty trawler was lying off the Maldive Islands in the Indian Ocean. One of the crew, A. G. Starkey, was up on deck, alone, fishing, when he saw something in the water.

"As I gazed, fascinated, a circle of green light glowed in my area of illumination. This green unwinking orb I suddenly realized was an eye. The surface of the water undulated with some strange disturbance. Gradually I realized that I was gazing at almost point-black range at a huge squid." Starkey walked the length the of the ship finding the tail at one end and the tentacles at the other. The ship was over one hundred and seventy five feet long.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

5. Hey, that's cool.

The thing I wonder is, what OTHER kind of stuff lurks in the depths that we haven't seen? I mean, humans and robots can't really reach the true ocean floor yet, and due to the pressure, the life down there can't really rise too far.

Heh - my overactive imagination.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

6. Originally posted by BioMechanic
    Hey, that's cool.

The thing I wonder is, what OTHER kind of stuff lurks in the depths that we haven't seen? I mean, humans and robots can't really reach the true ocean floor yet, and due to the pressure, the life down there can't really rise too far.

I think we should investigate the ocean, before we investigate space.

Interesting tidbit:

If we took the money from one shuttle launch, we could send a manned sub in the ocean everyday for a year.

7. its the motherfuckin Smog Monster.
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

8. Even if the scientists had wanted to, they couldn’t have made a feast of the mysterious squid — Pemberton said it has a high ammonia content which would make it inedible.
    Damn.

*puts down fork*

Originally posted by BioMechanic
    Hey, that's cool.

One of my favorite episodes of the X-Files delt with how little we know about the deep sea and what creatures could exist there.