Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think you'll all agree that you would rather go to hell than see this happen...

1. I think you'll all agree that you would rather go to hell than see this happen...

From MMCafe:

(AccessAtlanta.com, Quoted)
    "So you're lounging at home watching the heartwarming movie "Father of the Bride Part II" on TV. Actor Steve Martin is stressing. His wife and daughter are both pregnant. And then -- bam! -- up pops an advertisement superimposed over part of the TV screen.

"Expecting a baby?" the ad asks. "Call American Express Financial Services."Within about 10 seconds, the ad is gone as the movie rolls on in the background. The experimental ads ran this summer on TNT, and executives at the Atlanta-based cable network don't rule out using more pop-up ads." [ Full Article- Access Atlanta ]

So, is this the end of traditional programme TV and the beginning of On-Demand shows? Is this the death of the only thing most families nowadays do together: sit down in front of the TV set like Zombies? Only time will tell.

Special thanks to Juan for the News.

Whoever thought of this bullshit does not deserve to live.

2. On one hand, popup ads are the tool of the devil, and I hate them with a passion.

On the other hand, anything that pisses people off to the point of quitting their TV habbits has me giddy.

If anything remotely close to this happens with videogames though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. They don't seem much worse than traditional commercials.

Anyway, most people who spend that much time watching TV really don't deserve an opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

4. Anything that bombards me with advertisements, I have no use for. So, I'm already done with TV, but that sounds like a real pain.

5. God nooo, I can't stand popups on the internet I sure the hell don't want them on my TV too

I don't watch alot of TV, but when I do I don't want to see all this crap popups when I am watching... what next games, advertisements during loading screens

6. Great reply, Hero. :)

There have been intrusions like that for years. It's no surprise they are becoming more obtrusive. The broadcast stations in my area used to do audio-only promos over a movie's closing credits, then they began splitting the screen with movie credits on the left, news anchors on the right. Now, they are being generous any time they show the credits in a window larger than one-twentieth of the total screen area.

To tell you the truth, as long as the movie or program is available unedited on DVD, it's not even worth watching on cable. I could see how a lot of people would be highly upset, though, and I doubt the pop-up ads will catch on big time.

7. I'd rather see that happen then go to hell.

Nemo Guest
    It's necessary for one reason:

Tivo

The ability to skip ads all together is a no-no. Ads are what give these stations money. Being able to skip them defeats the purpose. Taking the ad skip feature out of Tivo makes it more useless than it allready is. (also blame the phasing out of VHS and forcing everyone to go digital)

BTW, We already have pop-up ads. It's called "Product placement"

TV is like a visual internet where the stupid still complain.

9. Originally posted by Nemo
    Ads are what give these stations money.
    Yeah I remember when Cable came out they promised no commercials when you subscribe to cable... yeah that lasted long

Nemo Guest
    Well HBO, Showtime and the rest only have commercials between movies and stuff. Oops, those are "Premium" services.