Thread: Dagon - My own review

1. Dagon - My own review

Well, I first heard about this Brian Yuzna/Stuart Gordon project a while ago. It was to be based on 2 stories by H.P Lovecraft, Dagon and Shadow over Inssmouth, and since the both were respsonsible for previous great Reanimator and From Beyond, I got all excited. Time passed, and Fangoria reported that the shooting started, Gordon is directing once again, and the film will feature some scares, blood and will stay true to the work of the author. Even while working on the small budget, they promised a very entertaining film, so I started my wait for the US release. European dvd been out for quite some time, but I never had a chance to pick it up, but then July 23rd came, and and US dvd hit the stores. I went to my Hollywood Video, but they only had vhs versions, but since I wanted to watch it on dvd, I ended up going to BlockBuster(I hate their new release policies, I never have enough time to watch a film in one day ), and there it was, sitting on the shelf and waiting for me, so I snatched it, along with Game Pass for DJ, and Way of the Samurai and Super Monkey Ball(I once promised to try it, and I keep my promises - Impressions coming soon ).

So after I send my family off to bed, I put the dvd in, and started it up.

The film starts with 4 people on the small yacht, vacationing near the coast of Spain. Paul and his girlfriend Barbara, and his partner with his wife. The set the ancor near the shores of the small village, when sudden storm hit the boat, and crashes it to the nearby rocks. Paul and Barbara sets of to find help in the village leaving their companions on the boat. While they trying to reach the shore, something attacks the boat, and prompts heroes to get to village faster. But onse there, they start to feel that something is not right about people there. And that leads them to discover the dark secret of Ibocca village. As the story proceede you learn more about the strange cult of Acient Ocean God Dagon, and what is happening to the its members, and strange connection Paul has to this small village.

The film was shot on the small budget, but I didnt find it feel that way. The locations are great, with rain soaked streets of old village, lightning, thunder and always pouring rain. Creepy old houses with dark shadows everywhere, unseen eyes in the windows watching you, and strange noises around the corner or in the shadows. Direction was good and stylish, and sets as mentioned very good. Film had a very creepy atmosphere, especially in its first half, as Paul explores Ibocca streets, hotel, houses and meets its scary inhibitants.

Slow, covered in the dark rain coats and hoods, zombie like mutated fish/octopi/human people of Ibocca are very scary and effective, as they drag their almost useless arms and legs after the main hero, as he tries to escape from them in very tense directed sequences. Its like a homage to great zombie films, with those man creatures going after the cast with the sense of impending doom and hopelessnes. I also like that the film stayed away from usual Hollywood necessary Happy End, and kept more darker and less happy conclusion of the story, very simular to the usual tone of Lovecraft novels.

Actors did a good job with their roles, with main character Paul being a fish out of the water, regular guy who gets thrown into this weird circumstances where he has to run to survive and nothing makes any sense. Other cast did also a good job, and Uxia girl(the priestess of Dagon), looked pretty weird and creepy even without the tentacle make up.

Make up fx and gore were done very nicely and there werent an over obundance of them in the film. Mutated viallagers looked genuine scary, with gils, webbed hands, tentacles for arms or legs and many other things that made them look very freaky and out of this world. There were some nice gore moments, like throte being slit, face being ripped off, or one of the mutants being gutted, so gore fans will have a good time with this one. Some CGI fx used were also used sparringly, and good. I liked a glimpse of Dagon, but I wish they would show more of that grand creature.

The dvd quality was ok, but there was one part in the middle of the film, when picture got all pixely and almost froze for a few seconds(possibly just a production error). The picture quality and sound were all good and it was presented in widescreen mode. There were some extras on the disk, but I unfortunately didnt had time to check most of them out, and only watched the film trailer.

At the end, I will say that it was an enjoyable film, and I recommend it to all Horror fans and lovers of the work of Lovecraft to check it out.

2. Good to hear you liked it, I noticed the freeze also, I think it had to do with the layer switch, someone didn't master it right, that's for sure. Also be sure to listen to the Gordon, and Screenwriter commentary, it has some great discussion of Lovecraft. I think they did Dagon right though, just giving a glance and nothing else. They stayed true to Lovecraft that way, since he never really took the time to fully describe any of the old gods, he only gave allusions and quick mentions of little bits before the narrator passed out.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Yeah, I will definately watch the film with commentary, once I get my own copy. Since I rented it from BB, I have to return it today, so it doesnt give me much time to watch it again

I also like small touches like jersey that wears in the film, says Miscatonic University

4. Yeah, I noticed the Miskatonic Sweater also. I thought that was a great insider thing that only the Lovecraft faithful will get.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.