Thread: Secret Comics Japan

1. Secret Comics Japan

This is a collection of short comics that Shidoshi reviewed in one of the latter issues of Gamefan (he gave it an A). I've owned it for quite a while, but someone had borrowed it for...ever, but I've gotten it back and reread it recently and I have to spread the love. SCJ contains 9 comics by underground japanese artists and each one has a unique style to it. The art in these comics range from sloppily done on pencil printed on cheap paper to cute psychedelic treats to Otomo influenced obsessive linework. A few of them contain extreme violence and sex (one is even just a well done hentai comic) and one contains such extreme nonsense that you'll question the sanity of the artist with every panel. However, these comics aren't great for just shock value (one is even serene, though it has subtle themes that could be taken as disturbing), and this is outlined in the excellent introduction to each comic. The editor gives a great introduction in the beggining of the book too, explaining the place manga has in japanese society and where these comics fit (these comics are aimed at the group "who can't live without manga"). So there you have it, one of my favorite mangas, and well worth the money (it says 20 bucks on the back, but Amazon might have it cheaper).
    pwned by Ivan

2. yea, i picked this title up sometime early last year. easily some of the best works i've ever read (save one or two). if you love the stuff that the last artist does, check out Short Cuts. it's more collection pieces but based around the kogal. and if you're looking for MORE Junko Mizuno (Momongo), pick up Cinderalla (should be available in stores now). i can easily recommend Secret Comics Japan. it's nothing like you've ever read before, and heavy on the mature side, which is also one of the basis's of the manga. IIRC, this might have been the first PULP title i've bought.

on a random note, my friend fiend_of_rejections got his name from, well, the fiend of rejections in the last manga collection.

3. Damnit, I PMed him about that but he never replied. Now I know.
    I'll have to look into those other comics.
    pwned by Ivan

4. i told him to check out SCJ the next time he want to Kinokuniya or Virgin Megastore. he eventually checked it out and bam!, he was instantly hooked. if it weren't for me, he would have never found religion in the fiend of rejections.

whap! no good.