Thread: Weekly Sketchbook: Vol.2

1. Weekly Sketchbook: Vol.2

--all images and characters copyright cigsthecat, and the real guy attached to that name.

2. I am going to combine the replies for both chapters of your sketchbook series here...

I love your crisp, clean lines, they put my lines to shame. Do you get that effect right off the bat, or is there some cleanup involved, either on computer or by hand. I have been unable to get such firm lines on even smooth bristol board or hot press Illustration board.

Your more cartoonish selections have a nice, rubbery quality to the line work, it reminds me a lot of Bob Clampett's work for Warner Brothers.
    Only you can stop sig pollution.

3. Nice stuff Cigs! I freakin love the Udder. Holy Cow!
    I also really like the woodcut looking girl at the bottom. I dig that style, reminds me of the guy that did all the Mudhoney album covers.

JM

4. That deformed ape child is great.... The pig is slick, too.

5. Waffle n' Pat! LOL! THat slayed me cigs! Thanks for sharing homie!

Pa

6. Thanks for all the great comments everybody. Not owning my own scanner sometimes makes it hard to get this up...hopefully in a couple of days the weekly schedule should be back on track. Sorry about that.

Segatron314: All these were scanned just as they look in my sketchbook, no cleanup. The best advice I can give is to have confidence in your line, and with practice your line quality will improve. Another thing to try is roughing in the basic construction with the side of your pencil lightly and going back with the point for details. And even being compared to Bob Clampett is one of the highest compliments I could receive.

JM: Thanks, I love Mudhoney. I'm trying to combine that color/design style with good drawings lately.

MS: Nipples the Super Monkey will rule the world!

PaCrappa: I may have some more of the dynamic duo soon...

7. I went into this forum out of boredom but i'm glad I did. Very, very nice. Love your style.

Any plans for an online comic of sorts?

8. Thanks Sidez. I've got some ideas I'm throwing around- eventually I hope to have some Flash cartoons, a short comic strip and some print things going. Once I can get a real website together some of that stuff should start appearing.

9. Originally posted by cigsthecat

JM: Thanks, I love Mudhoney. I'm trying to combine that color/design style with good drawings lately.
    Well Goddamn, have I got a sharp eye or what!

Well, where is volume 3 damnit! We want more! I love the idea of an online comic with your designs & that woodcut style coloring. That would be so nice.

JM

10. In all seriousness, I think you should get a cast of characters together and pitch it to an animation studio. Your work is very stylish and attractive. At the very least you should become a character designer for something.