Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: going for a diferent style/feel?

1. going for a diferent style/feel?

i used to draw comic style then switched to nuthin' but anime in 94....i've come to the realization that my imagination has become very limited do to my influences through anime and video games. being at the art school that i'm in now has really opened my eyes to the many posibilities and styles that i can learn from. as of late i've been trying to got for a more....i guess.....realistic mix with my current style. it's gonna be hard though. i'm using lots of references from painters, life drawing classes, and even fashion magazines to get a better grasp of reality. it's gonna take some time before i become........eh....consistent with it. has anyone ever dealt with trying to change your current style?

2. I must admit, I have never had a clearly defined style save the concept of assimilation. If I saw something I liked, it would become part of my style, and thus the process would continually refine itself.

I paint in different styles all the time. Even when I do anime, I have different schools of thought based on what my mood is. I try not to rigidly define myself, as there is much fantastic art to be had when I combine my fine arts background with the relatively new(to me) styles of anime and graphic novels.

Do not be afraid to experiment. No art is so rigidly defined that it cannot thrive with a new twist. You do not have to be confined to one subsection of the arts. You may find yourself like me, a little of everything, a perpetual student and a master of nothing. It can be very liberating...
    Only you can stop sig pollution.

3. here are some examples of my work over the past few months....nothin' fancy or finished

4. d00d! Those are really cool. Sure, maturing into your own style is wonderful...just don't lose the humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

5. thanks cap'n. my sense of humor is one of my stong points when i do comic/sequential stuff.

6. The girl in the last pic? Yeah, I think I've fallen in love ^_^

Actually, your style is a lot of what I idealize about. You, Bacon McShig, Kosuke Fujishima, and saka have got exactly what I want in my own style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

7. It's good to try different things and different styles while working, or you become stuck in one way of doing things. Eh, Yoshitaka Amano said something about this...
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. Originally posted by Hero

You, Bacon McShig, Kosuke Fujishima, and saka have got exactly what I want in my own style.
    ...wh....what is it that you want? whatever it is, i think you're already there, dude.

9. Hey Rama!

Aren't you going to an art school right now? If so, you have such a wealth of inspiration right in the library. I love going to the university's library & just looking at every art book & picking stuff up at random. Everything I know about art is self taught from checking out books. If I like an artist I check out everything I can find about them. I just absorb as much of their technique as I can. Here are a few artists you may want to check out.

Alphonse Mucha: he was an amazing french artist that practically started the Art Nouveau movement. Most of his stuff was lithographed posters & the line work is amazing.

Gustav Klimt: an Austrian artist that was pretty obsessed with women. He had an amazing style. A great mix of patterned design elements & wonderful female figures.

Both of these artists have a very flat feel to their work that I think could relate to your style . It's nice stuff, any way you look at it.

JM

10. funny, i just went to the library here at school not to long ago, an' i was checkin' out diferent books....but mostly books on water color and color pencil techniques since i haven't really used them in ages. i'll check out the artists mentioned as well. thanks.