Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: legend of mana

1. legend of mana

i didn't like this game much the first time i played it. i got pretty far then put it down 'cause there didn't seem to be much of a point to the story and characters. well, a friend of mine started playing it again recently and told me that the game's very short an' non character driven for a reason.....replay value. he's tellin' me about nightmare mode and no future mode and how the game has so much depth. he's shown me lot's of stuff that i never even thought about with the item/weapon making and golem making features in the game. and in the other modes the game is actually hard and not a cake walk like i thought it was originally. has anyone unlocked these modes? i'm gonna be getting my copy back from my other friend this weekend so's i can sit down an' play it. what are y'alls thoughts on this whole dealie?

2. I've always liked this game. The artwork is amazing. Some of the best in my opinion. It may have been short, but it was different.

P.S. The staff is the best weapon in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

3. captain? is'at you? you look all.....evil an' sinister now....

4. Originally posted by rama
    captain? is'at you? you look all.....evil an' sinister now....
    And you look all...Yugi.

It's a WarCraft III thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

5. Legend of Mana is great!

Both myself and my g/f were playing thru it at the same time, and all we really could swap was general strats because of the open-endness of the game.

I got up to the life tree (which is one of the last stages) and just never beat it.

Looking forward to playing thru it again though.

I love it. Love it, love it, love it.

Too bad my copy doesn't fucking work for some reason

7. Love it, but my file was eaten. I could always jump back in I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. I don't remember how far I got into it, but I sold my copy. I got tired of the combat system, the good looking sprites with hardly any animation, and the plot that wasn't there. If there is more to the game, then cool, maybe I'll get it again sometime.
    pwned by Ivan

9. I think the biggest draw to it isn't the story, but the non-linear feel of it. There are story 'arcs' that you can get going, if you know where to go and what places to activate, but for the most part you can do as you will. The draw for me (and I'm guessing a lot of people) is the customization. Think Vagrant Story, but not as complex - where using differe mixes of items on weapons, armor, and instruments can yield different results: some are downright powerful. There's also the concept of world building, and knowing how mana rates in areas can affect other areas can help you make good choices as to where to build next. Sometimes, only the rarest weapons, armor, and item mixtures can be had when you place a landmark at the perfect spot. It's that sense of customizing that was so much fun for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. I own this game, but I've only played it a couple times. I just couldn't get into it, probably because I'm too simple-minded to reach any kind of success with it. All that customization hurts my poor brain. FFTactics was one thing, but this... is just nuts. Maybe if I grow up someday and my mind matures I'll be able to understand it, but until then, the game is in my "I'd like to sell it but I know I'd regret it later" pile with a bunch of other PSX games I never play.

I must say, though, that the music is absolutely spectacular. The intro has to be one of the best game tracks I've ever heard.