Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going for a different style/feel?

1. going for a different style/feel?

i used to draw comic style then switched to nuthin' but anime in 94....i've come to the realization that my imagination has become very limited do to my influences through anime and video games. being at the art school that i'm in now has really opened my eyes to the many posibilities and styles that i can learn from. as of late i've been trying to got for a more....i guess.....realistic mix with my current style. it's gonna be hard though. i'm using lots of references from painters, life drawing classes, and even fashion magazines to get a better grasp of reality. it's gonna take some time before i become........eh....consistent with it. has anyone ever dealt with trying to change your current style?

hey mods, don't move to gallery, please? i have the same post there already, i just think i'll get allot more responses, faster if i had it here as well.

2. I've changed my drawing/design style drastically several times over the years. Best things I have ever done for my artwork. Change is good.

good luck

3. My drawing skill gradually twisted into painting. As such, I can't draw worth a damn, but I know my shades and hues like none other. If it were painting advice you sought, I could help, but alas...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

4. rama: there's no need to make double posts...

5. bahn: where's my advice, yo?

6. that was advice

seriously, I haven't tried going for a different style for some time and prolly won't be anytime soon. I used to be a lot like you though, starting out with a comic style and moving into anime. the fact that you've chosen to widen out should enrich your drawings. the best way to truly develop a unique style is mainly to study anatomy; take a course if possible. from there you can move onto the other fundaments - perspective, light/contrast, body language, things like that. the cool thing about art is there's never a limit to what can be learned, so consider this an continuous exciting journey.

when cigs/rook/mrdandy get online, I am sure they'll be able to give you some solid insight as well. (me still tired)

7. at last, Rama has seen the light. anime will definetley limit your skill and scope.

check out Vaughn Bode of Cheech Wizard Fame, also check out Ralph Bakshi...
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

8. rama: post some of your stuff in the Galleria

9. Yeah, kinda... Not so much trying to CHANGE my style, but incorporate something I like from other people's work into my own.