Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about progressive scan DVD players.

1. Question about progressive scan DVD players.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but a lot of people come here and discuss tech stuff at times. Anyways, back in January I got a nice Sanyo 3 disc DVD player, plays CDs, MP3 CD, VCDs, ect. the whole works and the picture quality is great. But I just recently learned about progressive-scan DVD players. I plan on getting either an HDTV or a WEGA probably sometime in January so what I want to know is, should I get a progressive scan DVD player or is the picture difference negligible over what my current player would look like on a high end TV?

The difference depends on your TV's line doubler, but generally a pro-scan DVD player will look noticeably better. They're getting pretty cheap now, too. There are many models less than $200.

3. One thing I've read about progressive scan players is that dvds that aren't progressive scan will look worse if it doens't have a good de-interlacing chip. While most movie dvds are progressive scan, pretty much all tv shows and alot of anime discs aren't progressive scan.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Originally posted by Green
    One thing I've read about progressive scan players is that dvds that aren't progressive scan will look worse if it doens't have a good de-interlacing chip. While most movie dvds are progressive scan, pretty much all tv shows and alot of anime discs aren't progressive scan.
    Then in that case, I don't care about progressive scan players for now as I watch a lot of anime and TV shows. Thanks for the info, guys.

If you do get an HDTV and what a prog-scabn DVD player with anime in mind, look no further than the Panasonic RP-62. It has a Sage de-interlacing chip and it's the only one under 300 bucks that does. Panasonic DVD's are widely regarded in the anime world.

6. Thanks, amerlop. I'll make a note of that player. Is that the player that the site animeondvd uses?

well alot of the anime on dvd reviewers prefer codefree dvds, the people on the forums almost unanimously recommend it. (and you can always get it modded other regions)

8. Yeah, with the Sage chip your non progscan dvds should look even better.
    Heh, I ordered the Skyworth regionless progressive scan dvd player since Chris at Animeondvd uses it. Thing is, my order came in too late, and now I have to wait who knows how long for it (thinking at least 4 months).
    Do you know where I could get that player you were talking about modded, Amerlop?
    pwned by Ivan

i don't know off the top of my head, but go check out some of the archived stuff on the animeondvd.com message boards...go to the DVD home theatre and hardware board and look for the topic...I think the topic is very specific like "mods for panasonic rp-62" or something like that... it even listed sites where they stock pre-modded RP-62s...the only left to decide is whether to get the plain black version or the super-cool silver/mirrored version

10. I just checked and found it, well the new model mod anyhow (only looked at one page). What is the difference between the 62 and the 82?
    pwned by Ivan