Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [American] Football Dilemna?

1. Hey now, in the US, it's all different.

Any word on ISS coming to the US any time soon?

As for NFL 2K3, I thought I'd add something: the animation in 2K3 blows Madden away. See the videos and you'll immediatly (sp) spot the difference.
    bastard of the new world order.

2. I recommend 2K3.

I have spent lots of time "researching" this game.

*stupid NDA*

3. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    I propose that every country just use the name "football" for its most popular sport. In America, football can be football. In Canada, hockey can be football. In Japan, baseball can be football. In the rest of the world, soccer can be football. The name changes would all make sense too:

soccer = football because the game is primarily played with your feet.

football = football because all of the athletes have feet.

hockey = football because all of the athletes have feet.

baseball = football because all of the athletes have feet.

That was pretty funny!

4. A little OT, I suppose, but I've heard NCAA 2003 (the EA one, not the Sega) is supposed to be a hell of a game.

Between the NFL games, though, I'd take the 2K series any day.

As for the soccer/football thing.......why does the US have to do everything differently? No metric system, no "real" football...*sigh*...

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

5. Doesn't bother me too much. I'd like metric, but in reality, our football has been around almost as along as soccer (saw it in an article on the soccer/football subject).

6. US Football has not been around as long as real football. Real football (soccer aka association football) was first organised in the 1840s in England. US football was actually adapted from Canadian football which was adapted from Rugby which was adapted from football. US football has it's origins in the late 1800s but even the "touchdown" was not invented until the 1900's (thanks Google).

Another interesting thing is that football is pretty much the same as it's ever been. The game has not changed that much. But US football has changed remarkably over the years (mainly because of the 35,000 tonnes of equpitment that the players wear and whatnot).

The thing that is annoying is that "football" is a prefectly good word and having two (three actually, there is Aussie Rules) totally different sports use it creates endless confusion . Especially when almost the entire world calls "Soccer" "Football" (albeit usually in their own language). I wish the term "gridiron" would catch on in the US. That's what US football is usually called in England.

7. Originally posted by BioMechanic
    A little OT, I suppose, but I've heard NCAA 2003 (the EA one, not the Sega) is supposed to be a hell of a game.
    last week my cousin got this game, and played it a helluva lot... the Dynasty mode is very cool... and the gameplay seems solid

8. Well, I am no expert on the topic, so I will accept said explaination and thank you for the info (gridiron). Quite interesting.

9. I always wondered, what the heck is the point of making a college football game and pro game? Why not just make one disk with both college and pro teams? Change a rule or two and push the hashmarks apart when the college teams take the field and there you go.

10. Oh oh! College Vs. Professional! Now that would be cool. It would give those really bad pro teams a chance to win once in a while!