Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: exercise tips

1. exercise tips

It's time I go through a transformation. You can go so far with people telling you "you're skinny." Any tips for someone who doesn't know a clue about beefing up? Anything helps, thanks in advance. Oh, and how long would it take for notice "results?"

I almost forget, do those automatic ab scupltor things you strap on work?

2. nope

they don\'t
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

3. those electronic pad/exercise machines aren't too swift. The original use for them is for therapy, like after surgery or an accident where you need to regain your muscle strength. It's not ment for everyday exercise use. But someone brainstormed and got them to mass market. With that said, they do work, but be really careful with it. You can hurt yourself (which is true with just about any kind of weight training/exercise).

4. I'm in a wierd sort of boat with you. My body (as far as size goes) is perfectly fine with me, except I have a beer gut. If I actually drank beer, I'd be a bit more comfortable with it but instead I simply have a damn gut. And so I'm trying to work out a lot around the house (no cash for a gym) to reduce my stomach and try and try to build up the rest of me in the process.

Gaining weight on purpose can be bad if not done right (same goes for losing wieght), and I can't tell you what you should/shouldn't be doing for that. I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but I hope it helps:

Increasing your physical activity can help to increase your metabolism, which will increase your hunger and the amount of food you eat. This will fuel your body even more and should help to give you some mass. I walk almost everywhere and hate taking the bus (I've walked an hour and a half to the orthodontist because I didn't feel like waiting for a bus) which is where a lot of my decently high metabolism comes from. Lots of starches should help you bulk up a bit (spagetti, breads, etc), and you should also work out a bit. There's no pull-up bar in my house, so I simply do a pull-up every time I walk through a door (doorframes can hurt a bit because of the small space you're focusing on, but so long as they aren't sharp you'll get used to it) which also works on the forearms and wrists a lot. Whenever possible, I keep a barbell next to the computer so that when I'm not typing messages and am just surfing, I can lift away with one hand and switch off once in a while.

Pushups are also nice, working the backs of your arms and your neck, but as you get used to them (if you aren't already), place your hands far apart (about twenty inches away from your head, variable depending on your height) to do pushups, it'll really help build your chest and upper back as well as your arms.

Results can take a bit. You'll notice hardening of muscle within days, though it won't be really noticeable to others. It can take a long time to really get "larger." Remember; heavier weights increases your muscles, smaller weights tone them.

wow, nice tips Mech. Too bad I'm too damn lazy, but I really don't have too worry, I've got some disorder that I can't gain weight, I'm at a steady -20 pounds below average weight. I gain 5 pounds and it's gone that night, but it kick ass since I've got very low % body fat making me have quite a bit of muscle for my size. =P

wow, nice tips Mech. Too bad I\'m too damn lazy, but I really don\'t have too worry, I\'ve got some disorder that I can\'t gain weight, I\'m at a steady -20 pounds below average weight. I gain 5 pounds and it\'s gone that night, but it kicks ass since I\'ve got very low % body fat making me have quite a bit of muscle for my size. =P

6. i dunno, i just been playing alot of raquetball lately, havent touched video games in like two weeks.
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

7. Depends.

The general rule, is More Reps/Less Weight = Tone
    More Weight/Less Reps = Bulk

I would say, your best bet, is to go to a fitness club, or speak with someone who knows what to do. My brother is heavy into that shit. So, he helps, though I got no time for workouts.

If you can tell me specifiacally what you want to see happen, then I can give you more tips.

I would say 3 months, of daily/almost daily for results.

8. Thanks guys, I appreciate it a lot.

My video game and computer time will be cut for a bit for sure. I just finished off Mario 64 and I'm going to work on Golden Sun until I beat it. After that, video games will be post-posted for an unknown amount of time. The only exception being my friend's LAN party in a few weeks.

I think I'll start tomorrow going to the park for a jog. Along the way they have exercise spots to workout. There's a gym that's a two minute drive from so I'll check that out. If not, I do have a barbell lying around somewhere. It's a start.

I don't drink beer, but I do have a bit of a "beer belly." =/ Now, would it be better to tone my muscles first and then build from there? I suppose it would be easier to get rid of the flab first. Or do I start building from scratch?

My "transformation" doesn't just include the physical aspect, I would like to restructure myself mentally as well. Now, I'm not sure how to do this, but what about Tai chi? (Laugh if you want).

Stibbons Guest
    Workout, eats lots of chicken and fish (for the protein). You'll see noticeable mass in a good three months. You first have to burn off your body's fat before you can beef up, so don't worry if you're getting skinnier at first.

10. I think Stibbons answered my question before I even asked it.

Originally posted by mattvanstone
    If you can tell me specifiacally what you want to see happen, then I can give you more tips.
    Something along the line of

would be nice.

I would say 3 months, of daily/almost daily for results.
    ack.