Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moronic British Star Wars DVD censorship.

1. Moronic British Star Wars DVD censorship.

Turns out that when the Star Wars Episode 2 DVD is released in Britain, it will not have the shot where Jango head butts Obi Wan since British children will definitely start headbutting each other like mad since they're more likely to imitate Star Wars characters than Hobbits. Riiiiggghhhhhht. Going by that logic, they should be editing the heck out of the UK Looney Tunes DVDs too. Not British, I just find this a really sad comment on how one person's mind numbingly stupid sense of uh, "logic" can affect so many people. And let's please not turn this into an Ep. 2 debate.

British fans (with Region 2 DVD players) hoping to see an uncut version of AOTC on DVD will be disappointed. The head butting scene will not be present on the UK DVD when it's released on November 11th. Here's what Ros Bates, the Senior Examiner at the BBFC (British Board Of Film Classification) had to say to Ed on why head butting in LOTR is OK, but not in Clones:
    With respect, the head butt in "The Lord of the Rings" is different from the one in "Star Wars..Clones." The former work does not invite imitation by young children -they don't play hobbits in the playground. On the other hand, they do play Star Wars games in the playground, and that's why we took the precaution of removing the head butt at the distributor's request - the distributor was free to allow the head butt to remain for a 12, but chose not to. "Clones" featured recognisable humans in the head butt scene - "LR" deals in mythical creatures in Middle Earth.
    The head butt will not be present in the DVD as we do not allow cut material to reappear in the DVD package, on the grounds that this would constitute "forbidden fruit" for children. We always consider the context of any head butt - which explains why these two examples were treated differently each work is treated on its merits.

There's no word on whether there will be any other differences between the UK and US DVD.

2. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

This is all at once insanely stupid and hysterically funny.

3. And to think, the guy that made that decision is probably rich. I just love how the world condones and endorses people making money making stupid decisions in stupid jobs (both govt and secular) they're not qualified to ever have.

4. There's just no justice there.

I would rather have taken the 12 rating if I were in charge. Shouldn't parents be teaching their children that you don't headbutt anyhow?

You never know... LOTR may be more popular than that guy thinks as far as playground games go. A Star Wars toy lightsaber can easily double as an LOTR sword in a pinch, given a dash of imagination.

*pulls up to BatesBurgers' drivethru*
    I'll take a Double Standard with fries.

Originally posted by Kosh_H
    And to think, the guy that made that decision is probably rich. I just love how the world condones and endorses people making money making stupid decisions in stupid jobs (both govt and secular) they're not qualified to ever have.

5. I headbutt. whats wrong with that? and isnt starwars set in a "galaxy far far away?" how is that more realistic than middle earth? their both ficition places. Also, they never say in any of the movies (to my recollection anyway) that the main characters, though they appear human, are actually human. Dumb asses.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

6. Hey, cool. First time I made somebody's sig quote.

lol, lol, lol!

Re: Moronic British Star Wars DVD censorship.

Originally posted by Kosh_H
    And let's please not turn this into an Ep. 2 debate.
    EPISOD 2 SUXORZ. YOU FAGS!!!!!!!1111

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea that British children idolize clones and not heroic adventurers from fantasy stories. Who knew, who knew.

Jay Guest
    I feel so very enlightened. I think I will go attempt to join MENSA.