Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GameCube hardware price drop coming this year?

1. GameCube hardware price drop coming this year?

Vice President of Marketing for Nintendo, commented whether or not Nintendo will drop the price of the GameCube hardware.

Nintendo may cut the price of its new GameCube console later this year, depending on a similar price cut from Sony for its PlayStation 2, a company executive told Reuters on Monday. Vice President of Marketing for Nintendo, George Harrison said Nintendo had expected Sony might cut the price at a retailer conference it held last month, and that any GameCube price cut would have to come by August in order to have full effect for the holiday season. Harrison also speculated that if Sony made a deep drop in price on the PS2, that Nintendo's GameCube cut was possible. If this was to happen, then Microsoft might also have to cut the price of its on its $299 XBOX.

"We haven't made a decision on (a price cut)," Harrison said. "Sony's expected to make the first move and then we'll see where we stand." He implied that the deeper price cut, to $199, would make a GameCube cut more likely.

Despite frequent denials that it has any plans on any price cut, Sony has been widely expected to cut the PS2's price this year, presumably at the industry's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in May.

As for software pricing, Harrison said Nintendo saw no need to cut its $49.99 price for its top titles, though it may consider a discount program for best-selling games down the road, as Sony recently announced (Greatest Hits line).

Source: Press Release

Yay! Price cuts. And from what it sounds like it could be happening right around graduation time. This is great. What better way to celebrate than to purchase some systems at a lower price.
    Taking it one day at a time.

12 year spammer bump. New record?

4. So what did they drop the price to

5. I imagine it's going up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Like my dick.

7. THANK GOD. I've been wanting a GameCube, but I'll be damned if I was going to pay $129 just to play the Capcom Five and Metroid Prime.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Well... Capcom Four anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. But they promised me five!
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.