Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Favorite Anime and/or Manga?

Golgo13 Guest

Best/Favorite Anime and/or Manga?

I love these threads since they help me wade through the multitudes of crappy titles out there. They also help me decide on what to spend my money on next.

I'll go first and say I'd reccomend Robot Carnival. Not the best put very close and personal favorite of mine. What you basically get is a collection of vignettes, each with a robot theme. Some are funny, some are artsy and some really just make you think a lot. There's definitely something here for everyone.

In the Manga front, I'd reccomend Blade of the Immortal. This has to be one of the most well donw mangas I have ever read. Everything just seeps quality. Characters are well defined and the story is setup so that you know there'll be at least 1000 issues (which may or may not be a good thing). Artwork can be confusing at times but the 2 page death scenes always wrap up what just happened.

2. Re: Best/Favorite Anime and/or Manga?

Originally posted by Golgo13

I'll go first and say I'd reccomend Robot Carnival. Not the best put very close and personal favorite of mine. What you basically get is a collection of vignettes, each with a robot theme. Some are funny, some are artsy and some really just make you think a lot. There's definitely something here for everyone.
    Sounds great - has it been picked up for distribution in the US yet ??

My favorite anime series' are:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion, Golden Boy, Cowboy Bebop, The Big O, Sakura Diaries, GTO, Now and Then Here and There, and Nadesico.

My fave anime movies are:
    Perfect Blue, Kiki's Delivery Service

My fave manga is actually the only manga I've read so far, and that would be GTO. I LOVED volume 1 and have vowed to buy all 20-ish volumes as they come out

- Kabuki

3. The best manga out in America is Phoenix: A Tale of the Future by Osamu Tezuka. It truly proves manga to be art.
    In case you didn't know, Osamu Tezuka also did Metropolis, Astroboy, and Kimba the White Lion.

Golgo13 Guest
    Robot Carnival actually was distributed in the early 90's I believe on VHS. It had a full dub and everything which came out pretty good.

The only DVD available for it are the HK ones which I've yet to purchase in anticipation for domestic release which to my knowledge hasn't been picked up yet. Still, the HK ones usually cost 8-10 dollars and serve as good place holders. I've actually seen GTO volumes go for as low as 3-5 dollars each.

On the topic of Phoenix, I read a sample of it in a back issue of PULP. Interesting. Funny part is though that Phoenix is one in several volumes revolving around the same theme (The future I guess). What's funnier is how huge these volumes are. I'm not sure if I could fit the whole set on my bookcase.

I've also read the first 3 or volumes of AstroBoy (only 10 dollars a pop) and have mixed feelings on it. The longer stories I find are boring and drawn out usually ending unsatisfactorily. The shorter ones though get right to the point hitting us with tough moral questions packed in kiddie packaging. I think that's where his so-called magic comes from. A shame we have to wade through trash to find it.

5. Favorite anime:

-Goldenboy
    -Great Teacher Onizuka
    -Tenchi OVA
    -Captain Tylor
    -Dual
    -Sorcerer Hunters
    -Read or Die
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -Serial Experiments Lain
    -Gundam 08th MS Team
    -Fatal Fury the Movie
    -Adventures of Mini-Goddesses
    -His and Her Circumstances(for now)
    -Excel Saga(for now)

Favorite manga:

-Great Teacher Onizuka
    -Love Hina
    -Oh My Goddess
    -Seraphic Feather

6. Anime: Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Escaflowne (series), Boogiepop Phantom, Cowboy Bebop

Manga: Blade of the Immortal, Dark Angel, Vagabond, Harlem Beat

There are many more I enjoy, but those are the cream of the crop.

7. I"s.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. Favourite Anime:
    1. Sexy Commando (there is no other!)
    2. Cowboy Bebop
    3. FLCL
    4. Love Hina
    5. Abenobashi Magical Shopping District (despite watching only 6 episodes, the whole Bruce Lee parody in episode 4 just sold me on the series).

Notables: Vandread, Nadesico, NieA, Jungle Guu, Ebichu

Manga:

1. Blade of the Immortal
    2. Love Hina
    3. Star Wars (yeah, I haven't read that much manga. )
    If my memory of her has an expiration date, let it be 10,000 years.

9. Series

#1. Cowboy Bebop
    #2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    #3. Now and Then, Here and There
    #4. Serial Experiments Lain
    #5. The Big O

Movies

#1. Akira
    #2. Princess Mononoke
    #3. Grave of the Fireflies
    #4. Kiki's Delivery Service
    #5. Perfect Blue

I haven't really read enough manga to choose a favorite, but I'll say Bebop's a great read.
    www.getyourwaron.com
    "Knock knock!" "Who's there?" "Afghanistan!" "Who?"

10. Ebichu? Hahaha. That shit is fucked up. Funny but fucked up.

Anyway...I like anime.

GTO currently my favorite. My anime to get list is so fuckin big now it's not funny. I guess my next purchase will be the Escaflowne series box set cause I only have seen one copy and it'll probably be hard to get soon (and I hear it's a good series...well...that's what Ashen said). I'm workin a temp extra job right now that's paying pretty good for the nonsense I'm doing there. Though they're only letting me do it 4 hours a day. Tomorrow I plan on staying at least 6 hours though.

Later all...