Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maetel Legend/Harlock Saga

1. Originally posted by phoenix angel wing
    Harlock sucks...
    :stupid:
    Apparently you didn't see Arcadia of My Youth. Phantom F. Harlock the 99th is boss.

2. Yup, you can't beat a space pirate who's descended from a WWII Ace.

And, yeah, I can't think of any space pirate niftier than Harlock.

And since we're on the subject of Matsumoto, anyone who sees a copy of "The Cockpit" should do themselves a favor and pick it up. It's 3 Matsumoto short stories all done by different directors, based on WWII. Plus, the episodes shown, at least (they'r taken from an old Matsumoto manga of the same name) doesn't really do a lot of villifying(sp?). Which is refreshing when dealing with historical war settings.

And since we're on the space drama subject as well, if you like this sort of thing, you might want to look into Crest of the Stars (Sekai No Monsho) released by Bandai...I believe.

3. Originally posted by alan_fatima
    Yup, you can't beat a space pirate who's descended from a WWII Ace.

And, yeah, I can't think of any space pirate niftier than Harlock.

And since we're on the subject of Matsumoto, anyone who sees a copy of "The Cockpit" should do themselves a favor and pick it up. It's 3 Matsumoto short stories all done by different directors, based on WWII. Plus, the episodes shown, at least (they'r taken from an old Matsumoto manga of the same name) doesn't really do a lot of villifying(sp?). Which is refreshing when dealing with historical war settings.

And since we're on the space drama subject as well, if you like this sort of thing, you might want to look into Crest of the Stars (Sekai No Monsho) released by Bandai...I believe.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to look into Crest of the Stars.

4. I wish that I had picked up The Cockpit long ago when I actually saw it. I've been looking for a while and haven't seen it anywhere.
    I picked up "Yamato: The Movie" yesterday (wanting a little Matsumuto, doncha' know) only to be disappointed to find that it was only a cramming of all the episodes of Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato into a feature length film. Oh, what good a little research would have done me. Hm... Does anyone know if there's an un-messedwith version of Yamato on the horizon or already available?
    Dad blast it! When will Galaxy Express 999 be available on dvd?

*Ahem...* while we're on the subject of classics, I recommend a reading of the manga "Pheonix: A Tale of the Future" written and illustrated by Osamu Tezuka. I was going to write up a review today, but the lab closes in less than an hour... Ah, some other time then.

5. I actually leafed through Phoenix today. A couple things I noticed:

1. Good god I love Tezuka's art style.
    and
    2. ...is there a young cat (of the human variety) with shades called Roc in every Tezuka manga?

Finch: I beat my head against the wall when I saw your IM. Teaches me for leaving AIM on while I play Gundam Battle Assault 2. *complete fanboy explosion*

Me: "Chibodee! MACHINE GUN PUNCH FIREEEEEE!!"

"HAHAHAHAHAAHAAA!!! Take that, Kasshu."

6. Harlock Saga takes the Galaxy Express characters and puts them in a retelling of The Ring of the Nebulung. Awful, awful anime. I've only seen glimpses of the Galaxy Express movies back when it was on Sci-Fi channel, I want to see them when they are on dvd. Same for Arcadia of my Youth. No one has mentioned Queen Emeraldas, its not top notch, but its enjoyable if you like space pirates and Leiji Matsumoto. Emeraldas is basically the female Harlock.
    btw, anyone know what Matsumoto had in mind for who Harlock was going to be? Well...As you know, Matsumoto also had a big hand in Yamato/Starblazers, and the stories and characters sometimes overlap in the Galaxy Epress stuff. Basically, Harlock was going to be the brother of the main character in Yamato. He was going to die, then come back later as the pirate Harlock.
    pwned by Ivan

7. I've been saying it people, COSMO WARRIOR ZERO. For those of you who keep forgetting or don't know, check it out! Its a great Leiji Matsumoto series.

8. Station- Is Cosmo Warrior Zero available in on the shelves in the US, or only through fansub? I'm interested in it, but I didn't find it at Media Play and I'm currently computorraly challenged.

Finch- Alan just responded to you over AIM. Now you know.

Station- Alright, I\'ll be looking for that as soon as I get back from NYC.

Alan- Thanks for telling me, I\'ll probably pick it up after I get back from New Yawk.

Takako Minekawa- Where are you?

9. Cosmo Warrior Zero is available in the US. The first of 3 DVDs is out. It is being released by Media Blasters and Anime Works. I see it all the time at Suncoast, Best Buy, Fry's and Tower Records.

10. Yeah, I actually found it at Gamestop this morning when my friend went to pick up Mario Sunshine. I only watched two episodes, but I like it so far.

I like- The music, the Leiji Matsumuto-esque characters and space vessels, Captain Harlock

I don't like- Crappy digital animation stuffs.