Thread: GunShell

1. GunShell

These are a few character designs I've done in the last couple days for a story I'm working on entitled GunShell. Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated.

-Final Shot
    -Lemon
    -Mindless Soldiers

2. Not bad, MechDeus. Some pretty solid drawings here.

Final Shot: Nice relationships on his right arm. It's nice how you got a good angle change at the wrist, and the hand is working pretty well. The perspective on the gun needs some work though. You might try tilting it and showing more of the gun, since the angle you've got it at now is pretty uninteresting, and hard to draw at the same time. I'd also give him a little more definition in the torso area as he's looking pretty womanly. Your attention to detail is great though, nice design on the belt/skirt thing.

Lemon: The legs need work here. Her overall pose is pretty unnatural, giving her no real sense of weight. If you want her left leg bent at the knee (in sort of "typical" girlish fashion), turn it so we can really see whats going on. It'll be much easier to make it read. If you want her to look tough, make the whole pose reflect that-the arms and the legs seem to be doing completely different things. Again, nice details like the buckles on the torso area.

Soldier: Nice stance, much better here. The overall rhythym/line of action is really nice. Other than reminding me a little too much of that thing from Metal Gear Solid I think it's a good design. Nice plates/interlocking parts, and the hands are great here. I like the foot design as well. You could tilt the torso forward a tad though. (to the left in the image) Good stuff.

3. Slickness, thank you very much!

Final Shot -I won't change his torso mainly just because I tend to like that slimmer look. A lot of my characters tend to suffer from a tiny bit of ambiguous sexual nature from this. I'll see what I can do with the gun, I wasn't really trying to show it off anyway (it's actually an odd design, as is Lemon's when you know more about it) but I'll see if I can't display its side.

Lemon -Yeah, I got kind of confused on how exactly I should pose legs (and I'm not too happy with the arms either, they didn't come out like I intended; too stiff and outward) and now that you pointed out exactly what it was that's odd about them I rather grasp it all now.

Soldier -Heh, I actually got the single eye idea after watching too much Evangelion (Unit 00 the cyclops), and added in the extra eyes thinking spider-like. I'm not sure how well you can tell, but that's actually exposed muscle in all the non-armor areas. The foot design is a simplified design from a Doll I created before in which the lower leg folded in half for regular walking and rose up onto two poles for each leg for fighting purposes.

Thanks a million!

4. damn, mech.....i thought you just had a nack for cool avatars. that's some nice shit.

5. There's no way I could beat Cig's comments, so I'll just spaz out and hope people will disreguard me as original.
    X| BLAHAHAHA AAHA HA RGRBLE DEX!

No, really, I had no idea you had it in you, Mech. I just haven't been paying enough attention. I love the details and the exageration of form.
    I'm with you about sticking with the more ambiguous look. It adds a little something. Am I just imagining it, or are you more than slightly inspired by Han?

6. Thanks guys!

Finch: My inspirations are all over the place. If you can find something similar, I've probably taken something from it. A lot of my hand posing was originally derived from watching women's gymnastics (they use all sorts of neat poses for their hands), and my disproportional people started off being more based on the form of the ape then humans (I tended to use larger forearms and longer arms and legs then what should've been) before evolving through reading shojo manga.

Realistic styles rarely influence me at all, I much prefer style over realism in my art (there's an odd sentence to dissect). Recently, more free-form stuff has been influencing me, though it doesn't have a handhold on too much yet.

A bit screwy due to lack of practice in some areas, but here's another I did last night:
    -Final Shot with guns out

7. Hey

I like your stuff, what are you planning to do with it exactly. Oh, I definately agree about the Han influence. It really shows on the first pic of Final Shot.

JM

8. Well, I'm planning on drawing a comic with these guys. We'll see how far I get this time. Working on some more art, and realizing I should really get a ruler...

9. And here I give you another pinup of Final Shot. Unfortunately, it's really honkin' big, and looks moreso like crap due to the resizing. If anyone wants the larger version, ask and I'll post it.

-Final Shot Comin' at Ya!

10. Is that a wave motion gun in his hand? The thing is huge!

Excellent designs with lots of style and nice little details. They're beyond what I can do so I can think of anything constructive to say other than color them you must. Colors make everything nicer.

Glad that these are characters for a comic because it would be a terrible waste if they didn't get to do anything but stand around in cool poses all the time. You got to give them something to shoot at least.

I'm very interested in what will result from this. Please keep with it.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2