Thread: "Good luck in College" official thread

1. "Good luck in College" official thread

Quite a few of you are heading off to college- some of you into your first year.

I just wanted to offer my best wishes to y'all and ask that you be sure to take some time at the computer labs to post here.

* Zerodash sentimental points +1 *

2. A few suggestions to everyone:

First off, GO TO CLASS.

I have three or four friends that got booted out of school within their first year. Why? They didn't go to class. You will be able to pass every single class you're taking, as long as you just GO. You're going to have loads more freedom at school than you're used to, and it's really easy to blow off Monday morning classes after you've stayed up until 4am drinking beer and playing cards, whatever. It's not worth it, though.

Try to meet as many people as you can early on. Try not to spend much if any time in your room- everyone is going to be hungry for friends early on, and it'll be really easy to meet lots of people. Just make connections - you'll still be talking to these people in four years, and you'll be able to get as much privacy as you want then.

Go to a lot of the orientation events - they can be kind of lame, but you see a lot of people there.

Drink beer, it's good for you.

The T1/T3 connection will still be there in four or five months, so, really, really don't waste your time playing PC games early on.

The libraries are a good place to meet people.

College, really, principally about socializing, not studying. You ought to be into studying a bit, of course, but if you're passing your courses you'll get more out of school if you focus on socializing.

3. *nods*

Be young, have fun, go to college.

4. Heh. College is fun, that's for sure.

5. not fun when you work and still have no money, and pass all your classes with A's but no one really cares. And whenever you open your mouth to socialize, people look at you like you're crazy.

But hey, third year's a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. I'm a lame-ass commuter. No room for me! Headin' on the train every day to the Polytechnic Univoisity in Brooklyn! Better bring my mace...
    ...yeah, noone's gonna bother a guy with a stick connected to a 2-ton spiked ball.

7. Thanks guys. (really sad/depressed to be leaving but at the same time happy to be going) I wont be online till the 25th so why doesnt random people pm or email me? I'd love that. <
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

8. Originally posted by Stone
    A few suggestions to everyone:

First off, GO TO CLASS.

I have three or four friends that got booted out of school within their first year. Why? They didn't go to class. You will be able to pass every single class you're taking, as long as you just GO. You're going to have loads more freedom at school than you're used to, and it's really easy to blow off Monday morning classes after you've stayed up until 4am drinking beer and playing cards, whatever. It's not worth it, though.

Try to meet as many people as you can early on. Try not to spend much if any time in your room- everyone is going to be hungry for friends early on, and it'll be really easy to meet lots of people. Just make connections - you'll still be talking to these people in four years, and you'll be able to get as much privacy as you want then.

Go to a lot of the orientation events - they can be kind of lame, but you see a lot of people there.

Drink beer, it's good for you.

The T1/T3 connection will still be there in four or five months, so, really, really don't waste your time playing PC games early on.

The libraries are a good place to meet people.

College, really, principally about socializing, not studying. You ought to be into studying a bit, of course, but if you're passing your courses you'll get more out of school if you focus on socializing.

I agree with the going to class part - DO NOT SKIP CLASSES! Well, okay, sometimes its cool to skip one or two classes every once in awhile to give yourself a break. But make sure they are not on test days (duh!), are on days where you perfectly know the material being covered and the act of going there would be a waste of time, or skip on days where the professor basically admits that it will be a 'light' review day - only if you know your stuff first - this is all common sense judgement stuff.

However I and many others have a different take on the college experience - a not so tons of fun one. I don't live on my campus and never will so I commute there, I go to school 2 days out of the week and work 4 days out of the week (someone's got to pay for it!) and barely have free time, let alone the energy to 'party'. My college experience has fucking sucked so far.

The only good thing I can look forward too this semester is the that I have some interesting classes where I might actually learn something. Gasp!!!
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal