Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are sequels all we can look forward to?

Golgo13 Guest

Are sequels all we can look forward to?

I'm looking at future stuff I want to buy and I see nothing but sequels and remakes. What's up with that? I love the idea of playing Contra, Shinobi and Rygar soon but what happens if those games are really sucessful? Will Contra2, Shinobi2 and Rygar2 be on their way too? What ever happened to one game being superawesome enough to warrant it being held as an all time classic unworthy of a sequel?

Making sequels to successful games would be like making Citizen Kane 2 or Saving Private Ryan--Again. It just wouldn't make sense. Can't developers just leave things be?

I doubt it would make any difference because people would still snap up the sequels and bitch about how inferior they were to their predecessors. For shame.

2. Another trend I dislike is how sequels to long-running series are ditching numbers in their titles. Rygar should be Rygar 2. Contra: SS should be Contra 4 or 5, depending on if you count C:HC or not. Shinobi for PS2 should be #4, if not 5. Don't get me started on Super Mario Sunshine. :P

It will be much harder for gaming historians to keep track of the progression of series 20 years from now since they're all ditching their numbers...

3. What ever happened to one game being superawesome enough to warrant it being held as an all time classic unworthy of a sequel?
    Umm... you just listed Shinobi and Contra. Both of these had how many sequels already? And Contra's shining moment is Hard Corps, which would be the equivilant of what, Contra 4? 5?
    I'm looking at future stuff I want to buy and I see nothing but sequels and remakes.
    Here's your problem right here. Why do you want to buy these games? Because they're sequels to games you know and love, hence you want more; the entire idea behind sequels.

Now, look at Tekki (an original game from Capcom, no less) which looks to help redesign the way mech simulation games are looked at. Yes, it'll cost a pretty penny, but it's original and is almost assurdly awesome, provided you're into the genre. How about (another Capcom game) the new JoJo for PS2? It could be considered a sequel (since they had another fighting game based on a different generation of JoJo), but is wholly new in every way (even characters) except for part of the title. How about Treasure's new GBA games, Buster's Bad Dream and their Ippo boxing game? Both are new (though one won't be out for a long time) and BBD is a whole different way of approaching the beat 'em up genre. Or Gungrave, the best pure action (non-overhead shooter) game that's been released in years; score-based killing like it should be and beautiful designs unlike any other game out there.

Golgo13 Guest
    I'm telling ya, ever since they dropped the word "Bros." it's gone downhill....

For real, dog.

I thought Super Mario World SUCKED, especially in 1993.

Sarcasm needs to come out better in text.

6. Are sequels all we can look forward to?
    Errr no. Definately not.
    3DO Serial No. 033693019 "Serial number brothers!!!......" *high five*

7. Sarcasm needs to come out better in text.
    Now, to figure out how to make a board code that changes pure text to sarcasm...

8. I'm sick of the damn sequels and liscensed shit honestly. None of them look very good (well Shinobi looks good, but I don't know if that's really a sequel, since it's an entirely different style of gameplay.)

9. a good game is a good game

if it holds the title

super happy fun game 26 or New Super Fun Game i could care less
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. no.