Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure and Underated Horror Movies

Obscure and Underated Horror Movies

What are some Horror Movies that you have seen that are worthy of a mention, such as one's that went straight to the rental store or ones that are just plain awful?

Slumber Party Massacre 1-3 First is the best, all heavy T+A but the first still reamins a personal favorite for all the wrong reasons.

Sleepaway Camp- Again lot's of T+A and sort of a rip-off of FRiday the 13th. Cool titles like "Teenage Wasteland" and there are rumors of another sequel.

Last House on the Left- It is a very brutal and tough to watch Horror film.

More to Come....

2. In the Mouth of Madness is my favorite horror movie. Not sure if it's obscure or underrated though it is the last movie John Carpenter made before his brain melted.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is another good one. Also the first horror movie ever made for those that are interested in checking out the genre's roots.

3. Well, I should mention Society directed by Brian Yuzna. Pretty cool movie with interesting concept and very cool fx.

I also like Night of the Demons 2. Sure the story and acting is bad, but it got lots of of cool fx, and lots of gore

Prince of Darkness - Another Carpenter's entry in this thread, and neglected and hated by many. Great horror film, very creepy and bleak. Cool atmosphere and great music score. One of only few films that actually scares me.

Be back with more.

4. night breed.

i think this clive barker movie bombed at the box office but I think its pretty good.

scared the poo outta me when I was little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

5. Yeah, Klonoa, Nightbreed is definately another cool action film. Interesting story, cool make up and characters, and lots of action in second half. I wish they would release director cut some day, that Clive Barker spoke of.

6. Sleepaway Camp- Again lot's of T+A and sort of a rip-off of FRiday the 13th. Cool titles like "Teenage Wasteland" and there are rumors of another sequel.
    i picked up the box set at best buy for $25. not as much t&a as i wished (1st had none, 2nd had a lot, 3rd had fewer than 2nd), but it'll have to do. the series is just so campy (no pun intended) and it really does seem like a total rip off of friday the 13th, but the ending for the first was just... crazy. i had the idea who was doing the killings, but that underlying secret ? freaky. the 4th movie (sleepaway camp 4: survivors) was supposed to be in production in like '92, but they abandoned it and it was never finished. they include a production disc with the set. doesn't look very good.

one of the last ones i picked up was the wicker man. i'm expecting horror but came out with a musical mystery instead. the last scene where they unveil the wicker man itself was ridiculous. and it was better than the music scene where the inn keeper's daughter is prancing around naked. the movie, i thought, was just good.

i've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up for a little while too. now i can get some suggestions on what to pick up next time.

7. Although not really obscure, Ginger Snaps is pretty damn good. I think its underated.

8. Originally posted by Ashen Victor

i've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up for a little while too. now i can get some suggestions on what to pick up next time.
    werd

hey Despair, do you have any info on the next Clive Barker film that was suppose to come out this summer?

I think its the Damnation Game but not really sure.
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

9. Well, There are 2 Clive Barker projects in works now:

Saint Sinner (2002)

Directed by
    Joshua Butler

Writing credits
    Clive Barker (story)

Tagline: The Flesh Is Weak

Plot Outline: In 1815 a monk, Tomas Alcala, unwittingly unleashes two female succubi, Munkar and Nakir, upon an unsuspecting 21st century. He is chosen by God to travel through the centuries and stop the demons' rampage.

Its going to premiere on Sci-fi channel this October.

And also:

Tortured Souls: Animae Damnatae (2002)

Directed by
    Clive Barker

Writing credits
    Clive Barker (novel)

Plot Summary for
    Tortured Souls: Animae Damnatae (2002)

Based on the gruesome novella Clive Barker wrote especially for Todd McFarlane's disturbing action figure line, Tortured Souls is the story of six Cenobite-like creatures: Agonistes, a transformer of people into monsters who may be a creation of God; the Scyther-Meister, an assassin created by Agonistes to bring a corrupt empire to its knees; Lucidique, the daughter of a slain senator who is strangely falling in love with the Scythe-Meister; Talisac, a twisted doctor who has impregnated and attached himself to a strange machine; Venal Anatomica, a hulking assassin with an inhuman bloodlust; and Mongroid, Talisac's soon-to-be born child with a huge mouth in his stomach.

I'm looking forward seeing both

10. thanks for the info.