Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets remember...Gonnies II!

1. Lets remember...Gonnies II!

http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/nes/01/goonies2.html

Released in 1987(?) by Konami for the NES, Goonies II was one of the better Metroid/Castlevania-esque adventure games early on. All of the staples of the genere are present: vast areas to explore; item inventories; multiple weapons.

The areas in this game are vast-even by today's standards. The 2-sided (!) side-scrolling world is about as big as COTM's. Some areas cannot be accessed without aquiring certain items (hammers, ladders, scuba gear, etc). The objective is initially to rescue 7(?) children (the other Goonies) scattered around the map. Once that is accomplished, you must find and rescue a mermaid that the Fartelli family has kidnapped (why?).

The graphice are VERY dated (duh), but not painful to look at- they still get the job done. The music is superb as it always was with Konami games (and still is). All in all, the audio/visual persentation stands up well enough to make a modern-day playthrough unpainful.

Gameplay is solid. Jumping is a bit on the shaky side, given the hearty amounts of platforming to be had. Movement, weapon useage and other B-button functions are spot-on, though. Navigagating through some of the "rooms" (they link the 2 maps together, as well as offer hidden items) is a bit confusing, given its pseudo-3D interface.

Goonies II is a sadly underappreciated game from the good 'ol NES days. If Castlevania (SOTN-style) and Metroid is your 'thang, then by all means check this one out.

Anyone remember this one?

*waits for Neozeedeater (he knows all about retro games) to reply*

I'd like to see a rerelease of this with this version and the arcade version on it.

I played this game all the time at my one cousin's house for some reason, I never figured it out, really... I keep meaning to go repurchase it to finally finish it (Nintendo Power back in the day DID call this one of the Top 10 most finished NES games) but something holds me back.

3. I had this game as a kid and loved it...

They dont make classics like this anymore.

4. I had this one - one of the first games I'd ever played on the NES, actually. Loved it, but didn't this game have insanely long passwords?

-Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

Seven Force Guest

WARNING!!

DO NOT punch KONAMIMAN!!!!

6. A true classic. I played the hell out of it back in the day... and I think I still have it lying around somewhere.... I really should break my nes out again.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Still one of the greatest games of all time. Or at least I like to think so. I still play it every now and then, just for the good buzz it gives me.

8. Gotta love the version of the Cyndi Lauper Goonies theme too. I remember getting confused as to where the hell all of the doors went, and which walls I had punched or smashed with a hammer(I think I was only a 5th or 6th grader at that point). But man what a game- and you could probably find it on eBay without too much difficulty.

9. I really hate this game. Unstructured and boring nonsense. I suppose it would be good if you were a kid with no other games to play and had all the time in the world to draw up maps, but even then I'd rather play the original Zelda.

Naturally there's always one thing I like about every game, and with this one, I really think the theme song is nifty, made even better since it's sans Cyndi Lauper's voice and gravity defying hair.

10. All the tracks in the game are classic, IMO. Then again, this was during the era when Konami was on a roll in terms of sound design in games.