Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No MLB strike

1. me too rick.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

2. Well I am extremely happy, because no contraction means my beloved Twins can live another day! Whats that I smell? World Series Champions?! I think so! The Twins are the best story in baseball if you ask me. Two years ago the Twins were shit. And then last year we were told we were going to get pulled, thrown out by the ass eater Bud S., and you know what the Twins said? (at least the players, fans, and coaches. Not the owner mind you) fuck you! Last year was a complete turn around. Sure we slumped after the All-Star break, but now we are going to be in the Playoffs for sure! A team whose entire Baseball slary is less then some Yankee players for god sake! The Twinkies are going all the way baby!
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

Originally posted by Stone
    The Red Sox have something like 14 games against the D-Rays and the Orioles this month. Wild card time, baby!
    And the Yankees have 8 and a half games against the Red Sox!

4. The more I have read about this agreement, the more I think that it sucks. I read the following analysis on a baseball forum:

« Is anyone else geting sick of hearing about how the owners "won" the CBA talks? Every report I've seen says that they've finally won a battle and the players caved. Shall we look at what issues the players caved on:

1. Luxury Tax: On payrolls over 117 million. Yes, I know all the perks are included but the fact remains the Yankees will be the only team to go significantly over this threshold. And you want to know how much the Yankees will be taxed next year if they keep a 140 million dollar payroll (which will be 100 million more than some teams)? <b>4.025 million</b>. Yes, 4 million dollars. Considering George gave that to Sterling Hitchcook last off-season, I doubt that'll be a huge burden on his mind when he goes to sign Cliff Floyd this off-season. And for those who say that over time more teams will pass the mark, it increases every year, up to 136.5 million in the final year of the deal. All in all, virtually insignificant. Remember the luxury tax which was negociated in the last deal? Did it have <b>ANY</b> effect on spending? Nope. None at all. Neither will this one.

2. Revenue Sharing: From the sound of things, the only teams who will benefit will be the mid to small market teams like the Jays, A's and, of course, the Brewers. Small market teams will be left to rot with little hope of an improving situation. In addition, the supposed increase in transfered revenues from 160 million to 250 million will be phased it with 60% the first year, 80% the second and then the full amount. So, in other words, there will be a zero percent increase in transfered cash next year. I imagine the increased 5 million some teams will get in the final 2 years of the deal will help but it's not going to change the economic landscape of the game at all. All it might do is stop the gap between rich and poor from <b>widening</b> even further. It's certainly not going to narrow it.

3. Drug testing: It's a joke. There is no way any drug plan can catch 5% of cheaters, never mind 5% of all players. And if they catch under 2.5%, the plan gets scraped completely and there will be <b>no testing</b>. To me, this is mind bogling. 2.5% means there is one player on every team's 40 man cheating and close to 20 in the game. So if they only <b>catch</b> 15 cheaters next year, it means there isn't a problem? Baseball is still going to be a juiced up league with historic records no longer being worth the paper they're written on.

4. Small Perks: What else is in this deal. Well, for starters no compensation for "type A and B" free agents. I'm not an expert on what these types are so I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify it to me. But when you start eliminating FA compensation, you're hurting teams who lose players to FA even more. Also, Bud gets 10 million dollars each year to distribute <b>at his own discretion</b>. In a league which has had charges of insider loans and corruption over the past few years, can this even remotely be considered a good thing? Also, the minimum salary goes up. Which teams will this hurt? Not those who are loaded with veterans and FA signings. It will hurt small market teams who rely on young talent.

All in all, this deal is a complete waste of paper. It will not change the structure of MLB in the least bit and now fans will have to put up with a drug infested, corrupt, uncompetitive league based on a slanted playing field. But everyone will still praise the two sides for geting a deal reached and "saving baseball". »

¤ source

ps. I also hope the Twins win it all.

5. damn it. no baseball > corrupt, boring bullshit

lithium Guest
    Originally posted by APC
    ...and look at all the fans go back like nothing happened. Battered wife syndrome? I think so.
    My thoughts exactly. I find the whole thing rather shocking. Here we have a bunch of grown men arguing over millions of dollars to throw and hit a ball around a stadium. If nothing else, everyone long ago lost sight on what a "game" is.

7. Originally posted by Rumpy
    damn it. no baseball > corrupt, boring bullshit
    My feelings exactly.