Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Xbox "ruin" Shenmue II?

Will the Xbox "ruin" Shenmue II?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Xbox hater or graphics whore, but have you seen the screenshots at IGN or elsewhere? While I'm sure self proclaimed hardcore/enthusiast players like ourselves aren't too concerned about graphics because gameplay is king, didn't we all already buy this game as an import?

That means a lot of the rest who haven't played this game may expect more from it, now being on the Xbox. The screenshots I've seen aren't very compelling. Neither is the description stating that bad character models from the DC version are still present as well as slow down.

IGN:

"But even spiffy graphics can't fully save the game from some of the missteps taken in the previous Dreamcast incarnation. There are some characters who are poorly modeled, and that has not yet changed. There is also some spots of slowdown, just as in the Dreamcast version."

It goes on to say that graphics are still being tweaked and should be much better by the November release. I can't imagine them changing THAT much over the next 2 months, but maybe I'm naive about how technically challenging that would be...

While I'm sure many Shenmue fanatics will buy this a) because it's on the Xbox now, and b) for the "Movie" what about the rest of the buying public? Technically speaking, I can see this game scoring 7's or below on review sites and turning off prospective buyers.

The graphic enhancements I see in the screenshots are basically effects and resolution. The lighting looks terrible though. Why are the screens so dark?

I thought given the time since its announcement as Xbox exclusive that this game would have been geared to the hardware and not more of a straight port.

Basically what I'm getting at is, what happens when/if this game doesn't sell? Is that the end of Shenmue?

--Scourge .

2. Actually, this release is supposed to have two more chapters to the game. If it doesn't have those, I'm not getting near it.

3. I STILL haven't broken the seal on my DC copy of Shenmue II, and I have a feeling that I still won't by the time the xbox version is on the shelves...

4. Well they most definately ruined the packaging...

Worst, Box Art, EVER....
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Well they most definately ruined the packaging...

Worst, Box Art, EVER....
    It still hasn't been confirmed yet, has it?

6. As to your question, yes, Shemue 2 will be ruined on the XBox, because casual gamers will expect a certain level of performance from their system, and if Shenmue doesn't live up to that expectation, they will think the game ugly and dismiss it. Just like tons of people dismiss anything on the GameCube these days, since most of the titles are PS2 ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Originally posted by Hero
    ...casual gamers will expect a certain level of performance from their system,
    Shouldn't they though? Isn't the performance of the Xbox its most touted feature?

And we're not talking a PS2 port here, which most casual gamers would be glazed over by... We're talking a Dreamcast port which they would most certainly scoff at, as they did the system.

JSRF is a different breed of game with a whole different style, but it wasn't a port. It was developed for the hardware and took advantage of it.

I think Shenmue II on Xbox may very well kill this franchise. I'm hoping otherwise... If you think about it, why didn't he jump straight to Shenmue III. Not many who pick up II will have played the first one so what's the difference? He could have taken full advantage of the hardware. And he could have released parts I & II together as a single game or something.

--Scourge .

8. That's what I was also wondering... just releasing Shenmue II on the Xbox alienates first time players and attracts mostly the Dreamcast gamers that Sega left for dead. It would make more sense to renew the series by bringing both games over like what Capcom is doing with Resident Evil on the GC.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

9. Even though the whole Shenmue II X-Box fiasco still irritates me, I hope the game manages to sell a respectable enough amount to convince Sega that a Shenmue III is necessarry.

10. Originally posted by Wilykat
    Even though the whole Shenmue II X-Box fiasco still irritates me, I hope the game manages to sell a respectable enough amount to convince Sega that a Shenmue III is necessarry.
    Would it even matter? If Shenmue 2 doesn't sell well, it's more Microsoft's problem than Sega's. Sega might still make Shenmue III and release it in Japan. Unless you mean that you want a domestic Shenmue III which is a different story...

JGR and Space Channel 5 sold like crap... but there's still sequels anyway.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia