Thread: A question about the setup of the PS2 Network Adapter

1. A question about the setup of the PS2 Network Adapter

Alirght, here it goes. I use "Fast Access DSL" to connect to the internet with my pc. The modem though is not external and the cable that runs from the computer is a normal phone cable which plugs into a DSL filter on my phone jack. So my question is does any else use this? I'm guessing I have to plug a normal phone cable into my PS2 but will it still take advantage of my DSL connection? Any help would be very appreciated.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

zidane747 Guest
    Although I'm sorry that I can't help you, if you wait for the September EGM, they'll detail how to get your PS2 online with any connection. It comes out around Sep. 3rd(or sooner if you have a subscription).

3. zidane: unhelpful.

Ok, here goes...

1) No. Do NOT use a normal phone line with the PS2 network adapter. You'll notice that the jacks are not the same width. This is because your phone line has a RJ11 (4 pin) connector and the PS2 adapter needs a RJ45 (8 pin) connector. There's a slight chance that you could damage your PS2 network adapter if you use it with a normal phone line.

2) The network adapter is designed for ethernet cable, aka CAT5, aka LAN cable. Normal DSL setups have an external modem that connects to a computer, a hub, a switch or a router. You probably only get 1 IP address from your provider. In this case, you need something that acts as a router, since those take the 1 IP given to you and funnel all of the traffic of the LAN you place behind the router through that one IP. For normal setups, you could just buy a Linksys or comparable home network router and be done with it. However, your setup is not normal.

If your internal DSL modem has an ethernet-out port, you should be able to run a standard straight-through ethernet cable from it to the PS2.

If your internal DSL modem does NOT have an ethernet-out port, you need to find A) a software application that will transform your computer into a router and B) a network card. Stick the network card into your computer, install the software and BLAMO! instant LAN-capable DSL connection. Run an CROSS-OVER ethernet cable (not straight through) from the PS2 net adapter to the network card port on the computer and it should work. Cross-over cables have the wires reversed on one end (hold both ends side-by-side and the colors should not match).

This answer simplifies many things that I do not know about this sort of process, since I've never done it. I guarentee you nothing. :P But I think you may be able to get the PS2 online fairly cheaply (network cards are cheap, so is cable... maybe a max of $30 for hardware). Unfortunately I don't know of any PC software that can act as a router. You may want to start searching here: http://www.homenethelp.com/

Good luck.

Depending on how customer-friendly your DSL company is, you might give them a call to see if you can exchange your internal DSL modem for an external one, that would make life easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.