View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5789

Thread: Gaming's Golden Age

Exactly. Dismissing early video games is like dismissing movies or music that came out before you were born. Being a fan of older games doesn't mean you're living in the past as long as you still play modern stuff.

2. I still haven't played a game this generation that i'd put in my all-time top 20. I'm getting worried. Ever since the Dreamcast was killed off things have become less interesting for me.

3. Kinopio, I hear you on that. One of the things you could do, if you haven't already, is look for the games on the newest consoles (PS2, GC, Xbox) and see if any of them would make for great DC games in your mind. Try pulling every mental trick in the book that you can to find some similarities between the games that you have enjoyed and the games that you haven't yet played on the newest consoles.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. Originally posted by 88mph
    Debateable...
    Let's put it this way. I don't think it held up as well as Donkey Kong Jr 6 months after it was made.

Originally posted by NeoZeedeater
    Shine, I don't know if you're making this error but the classic mistake I notice people ignorant of the pre-NES eras make is that they think everything revolved around the Atari 2600.

The Atari 2600 was the most popular console of its time but it hardly represented the state of video game technology and the best quality in the early '80's. For most of its lifespan, the 2600 was vastly technologically outdated compared to other consoles. Not to mention consoles in general were inferior to home computers and especially arcade games.
    THANK YOU.

80's were all about the arcade.

When the Dreamcast and PC are included as part of the current era, things look much more impressive.

6. Originally posted by NeoZeedeater
    When the Dreamcast and PC are included as part of the current era, things look much more impressive.
    True that. DC was my single favorite console. And while innovation has stagnated, PC certainly has it's great, and we do occasionally see glimmers of originality like Deus Ex.

7. Originally posted by Jeremy
    One of the things you could do, if you haven't already, is look for the games on the newest consoles (PS2, GC, Xbox) and see if any of them would make for great DC games in your mind.
    That's like saying a game is automatically better cuz it's on DC. I hope everyone can see the absurdity in that.

Sadly though, many people (some here) love the DC so damn much that they actually think like that.

Like this one dude in the new issue of EGM. They were asking people for their opinions on online gaming and their hopes for the future, and he says "Online gaming died with the DC." Man, I'd slap that guy in the face if I could. What a complete jackass.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

8. Omni, I was just trying to help him out there. I can see where's he's coming from with his line of thinking. I don't agree with it, but if I can offer up some help to him, I will.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. I know. I just thought I'd address the issue when I had the chance.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

10. Originally posted by Jeremy
    Omni, I was just trying to help him out there. I can see where's he's coming from with his line of thinking. I don't agree with it, but if I can offer up some help to him, I will.
    I don't like a game better just because its on Dreamcast. I just thought that it was a great system for those 2 years, much better than the 3 current systems.

I think the reason i've lost interest in gaming a bit is because my 2 favorite developers(Nintendo and SEGA) are in a slump.