Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panzer Dragoon (Saturn & X-Box) thread.

1. Panzer Dragoon (Saturn & X-Box) thread.

Back in March one of my best friends visited (he's an old school fanatic just like me) and brought Panzer Dragoon for the Saturn. I'd never played it before so I popped it in right away and played for awhile. I guess I just wasn't in the mood but I only played as far as the first boss and then put it down. Heck I didn't even borrow the game. But I definitely liked it, but I had a bit of trouble getting into it. Anyways, in May when I went to E3, I played Panzer Orta and was blown away. So much so that I then HAD to play the first game again. So last week my buddy visited again with his wife and I made sure he brought PD again for the Saturn and made sure to borrow it. So I've had it for about a week, and so far have gotten to stage 3 (in between a lot of Mario Sunshine).

This game is AMAZING. The shooting and locking on are all very tight. Even though it's on rails the game still gives you a good enough sense of freedom of movement. The stages and enemies have such a unique ancient/organic/sci fi style. The stage designs are excellent, especially stage 2 and 3 so far with 2's giant worms, the cave run and then 3's multiple cannons surrounding you as you fly through a canyon. Being able to rotate your view to aim at enemies trying to surround you really adds a nice element of strategy. One thing that really impresses me about both PD (Sat) and Orta is that as far as I can tell, neither emphasize locking on over normal shooting. The graphics really seem to stretch the Saturn's much dogged 3D capabilities. The long FMV intro was very nice. I can't wait to see what the rest of the game looks like and look forward to playing Zwei and Saga eventually. Needless to say, Orta and Raiden Fighters have forced me into wanting a modded X-Box. Anyways, feel free to throw your thoughts in here, just don't spoil any later parts of the game, please.

2. Zwei is quite the game. As is Saga.

Anyway, Panzer Dragoon has a special place in my heart. Hell, I even got it for free, with a rebate.

3. Well, dude, welcome to the Panzer world. It's great that you still find the original appealing, even with its age. Once you play Zwei you may never go back.
    Orta is a whole other beast. It is, by far, my most anticipated title for Xbox. Third on all systems, taking a back-seat to Star Fox and Ikaruga.

I only played Saga for a little while, and never got into it due to drugs (no seriously), but I'll hunt it down in the next year or so.

The best news since Orta was announced for Xbox was a quote from the head of development on Orta. Basically, he says he has the entire plans laid out for a sequel to Panzer Saga, all he needs is the green-light. I would be happy with an remake of Saga on the Box (or any other system).

4. I bought Panzer Dragoon after getting my fill of Daytona USA and the original Virtua Fighter. I really didn't know what to expect as I wasn't really into shooters, and especially not 3D ones. Well anyway, to make a long story short, I loved it. It was fast, exciting, and beautiful. When Zwei came out I bought it and I loved that, too. I thought it was a bit too easy, though. And Orta is one of a handful of reasons I bought my Xbox. Can't wait for that one.

5. I liked 1 and 2 but didnt like Saga at all. Thats just me though. Everyone else loves the game. Then again I played it after finishing FF7. And saga just seemed shitty after that.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

6. Sweet, I didn't know plans for a new Saga were announced. Smilebit is such a great dev. Didn't Overworks do the original games?

7. Didn't Overworks do the original games?
    Team Andromeda.

8. Thanks for the clarification. Are they still a Sega team? What else did they do?

9. Wait till you play Panzer Dragoon II Zwei it is far better then the first Panzer Dragoon game, Panzer Dragoon Saga is a great game but it is different from all the other ones because it has RPG elements added to it.

Can't wait till Panzer Dragoon Orta comes out later this year

10. Team Andromeda only made the Panzer games, as far as I know. They later split up, and I'm pretty sure Smilebit acquired a fraction of the team. Also, I heard something about some of them going to... Hmm... Well, I don't remember their name, but they were behind Gran Tourismo.